• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 from Thomsaville, Ga to Cleveland, Tn

Silverback

EUC hasn't cleared yet, should shortly, I need to have it hauled from Thomasville, Ga to Cleveland, Tn. I don't know if it will start, listing didn't say, so wrecker might be needed to assist in loading. Thanks, Dan.

Silverback

Any one have any suggestions on what company to use? EUC has cleared, it is on a NG facility, no dock, Mark said it should start with a jump. Any help or info would be appreciated. Thanks, Dan.

davidkroberts

you need to call Eric Carlson 910-381-9036 with HotShot Transport . hes a list member here. or use RJR Specialties Transport aask for Greg Shafner or the owner Rodney Merrick 937-465-2671. The hauled two M35A2's for me from Wright Patternson to Dyersburg Tennessee for a good rate and have good equipment with ramps

Last edited:

davidkroberts

I have used both and had positive experiences with them. I use Uship.com for allot of my shipments including a truck im having delivered this weekend

Silverback

Well there are a few reasons for not driving it back. I haven't checked the truck over, I don't know what kind of shape it is in as far as brakes, driveline and such, I also need to get my CDL back. I also haven't insured it yet, and it is 360 miles from Thomasville to the house. It just makes more sense to me to have it hauled in so I can check it out here, rather than showing up and hoping everything will be ok for me to drive it home. That and my sense of adventure is in my other pair of pants. Dan. ;-)

papercu

It's a NG unit and nobody there full time, Sgt. John is the POC and he will be gone until next Thursday. So it is a hit and miss deal on pick-up times. Wayne

Silverback

I spoke with Mark from WR, he told me they would be back Wednesday night, so first pickup would be Thursday, I've got calls in to a couple of people that Dave mentioned, see if I can get the M818 out on Friday.

sandcobra164

I can go down and get it about 60 miles closer. I'll also give it a good once over and make sure it's ready for a road trip!!! It would not by far be my first tow job and I'll bet I'd get lucky and let your truck tow mine back. Also, Mark GL is a programmed contact in my phone, he's a nice guy to work with. Let me know if you'd like me to bring it to my house and get it ready to go to TN under it's own power!!! As for reference's, look around here, I'm a good troop.

sandcobra164

It's a NG unit and nobody there full time, Sgt. John is the POC and he will be gone until next Thursday. So it is a hit and miss deal on pick-up times. Wayne

Paperecu, very true statement. It's taken till today for mine and his schedule to line up and that meant me taking a day off from work (That's what leave is for). Anyhow, enjoy the pics for those who like to look at this kind of stuff. Only took about 5 hours and $150 dollars worth of diesel. Those dang wreckers get even thirstier once hooked to something. Now on to pulling the batteries, seeing if they'll take a charge (doubtful) and see what it needs to get running. At least I got my weekend planned out!!!

Attachments

sandcobra164

Truck starts and runs with either, won't run on the fuel. Time to drop the driver's side step and check the tank select valve hose's as it won't prime either. I'll also bypass the stock fuel system to the IP and check it that way this weekend. Oh well, I'm tired, it's home and it's nice to have a wrecker to recover stuff like this. I've done it before with my Deuce but I'm happy to say, an M818 does not push a M936 around at all. Something about the towing truck weighing nearly twice as much rather than 2/3'd as much. I will say to those who have thought about it, a Deuce does not tow an M818 very well. Get the big stuff to get the job done!!!!!

Silverback

Glad you made it home with minimum issues, sounds like my truck is in very good hands. I will be picking up some more batteries this week, out of 7 M35A3's only one didn't need a set, then 4 for the 818, my battery bill is getting up there. Talk to you soon, and again I appreciate all your efforts. Dan.

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You don't necessarily need 4 batteries for the 818 at least in warm weather. I have two that start just fine with two 1100cca heavy truck batteries. Just make sure you hook them up in series like a duece.

papercu

It's taken till today for mine and his schedule to line up
Wow 4 months? I'm surprised they let it sit that long. Sgt. John was great to work with but he is a busy guy.
Mine had the new type glass mat batteries in it and you might want to check the TB if you have them, they require different feed and caring.
I've alway use junkyard batteries when needing to replace but not much cold weather here and when we do I stay indoors :). Wayne

sandcobra164

Truck is suffering a typical air primer system leak. It'll run on it's own above about 1500 (can't verify, the tach cable is gone) but sounds about right. Now the really bad news, No high range in the transfer case. It'll move in low range but will not engage in high range at all. I'll check the linkage but you can feel the low, neutral, and high selections. Brakes work great as does power steering and it moved under it's own power around the bus turn around tonight and then made it's way back to the fence in reverse. Oil pressure is good, it builds air, brakes work but this truck is going to need some serious love. The cab is rusty in the usual parts, the cowl is pretty weak and it might need a transfer case. Dan, it will only need 2 batteries around this part of the country. The next step is to do an M900 series primer upgrade. Those old primer lines are a hard plastic line that is very prone to cracking from my experience.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks