• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 - Georgia CDL driving test?

jwaller

Another potential worry I've wondered about; if you road test in GA with an auto tranny truck they place a manual tranny restriction on your CDL. The 818 is manual but it's a straight 5 spd.

If anyone has attempted a road test in an 818 I'd like to know.
I took my road test in the 818 and I passed first time out. They would not pass me on the pretrip bc the truck didn't have all the equipment as I started before.

They could care less about what kind of stock shift it is, as long as it's a stick thats all that matters.
You must also not leave your hand on the stick. Only while shifting are you allowed to touch the shifter. Do not rest your hand on it.

jwaller

What about the part of the Federal Reg. that specifically allows air over hydraulic brakes? Except for the slacks the issues are the same and even the Feds recognize this.

Also, the 2010 International that we just returned with (80K GCVWR, OTR Condo) does not have slack adjusters........it has DISK brakes. Wanna drive them nuts????
Disc brake trucks don't have adjusters so you can't use it to take your test. It is just like the 818, it doesn't have the equipment so you can't use it. If you do you will not get an airbrake endorsement.

You can get a reg lisense without airbrake endorsement and you will be limited as such but remember just like when taking an airbrake test there are also very strict procedure for testing a air over system.

You must do all the steps in the absolute correct order and say everything you must say exactly.

You can miss a lot of stuff but the airbrake and air over tests are auto fail items if you miss anything.

sterlun

Squirt makes a good point. When I read the manual in regards to the pre-trip inspection, it says to check certain items "if equipped". For example, trailers built after 3/1/98 are required by the feds to have ABS. If However, that doesn't mean that the older trailers are illegal for use or ineligible for road tests. Not all trucks have air ride suspension so that can add to or take from your pre-trip inspection requirements.

The only conflict I can find anywhere in the manual is that the 818 doesn't have a tractor protection valve and parking brake valve to pop out when you pump the brakes down to 40psi. For the rest of the air brake part of the test it's fine. I think, depending on the examiner, that one could still possibly test with this truck.

If I'm not mistaken, some newer OTR trucks have air disc brakes. They couldn't be disqualified based on discs. Just my opinion.

Last edited:

jwaller

Squirt makes a good point. When I read the manual in regards to the pre-trip inspection, it says to check certain items "if equipped". For example, trailers built after 3/1/98 are required by the feds to have ABS. If However, that doesn't mean that the older trailers are illegal for use or ineligible for road tests. Not all trucks have air ride suspension so that can add to or take from your pre-trip inspection requirements.

The only conflict I can find anywhere in the manual is that the 818 doesn't have a tractor protection valve and parking brake valve to pop out when you pump the brakes down to 40psi. For the rest of the air brake part of the test it's fine. I think, depending on the examiner, that one could still possibly test with this truck.

If I'm not mistaken, some newer OTR trucks have air disc brakes. They couldn't be disqualified based on discs. Just my opinion.
Trust me, you can't use them. I have tried. The test was created before disc brakes came on class 8 trucks.
There are certain items you can miss and still pass but not with the brakes.
During the brake protion of the test you must follow "their" guide lines exactly and no you cannot find it anywhere, it's an internal document that is not available to the public.

I took my issues all the way to the state house of ga and had every one of the examiners re-qualify( at the site I used-(Thompson)) with the head of the ga dot license division after I was done with them.

Bottom line, you must use a truck that will fit into THEIR system, if you don't then you will fail, not for lack of knowledge but because they don't have a procedure to give you the test. I would be like taking a test that doesn't exist.

Just like when doing your pretrip, you must say the words exactly "properly mounted and secured". If you don't say those words exactly then it's like you didn't even look at it.

watch this and see.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p7-h3vniDBk[/media]

Air brake leak down test.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkeTGY-kLHw&feature=related

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What an back assed way to do a pretrip. Start at the top, work your way down. Check each subsystem completely, then move on to the next. ****, I'll bet it takes him 45 minutes to do a pretrip. I am allowed 22 minutes for a tractor and trailer, and most of the time I can spend 5 minutes of that chewing the fat. :jumping:

jwaller

yup, it's back assed for sure but you get the point with his language. make sure you use your tire gauge and check all the pressures, tire depth, and lots and lots of other things. you must specify the min tread depth for steer and rear tires too. don't just say they are OK.

You must also specify the proper belt tension for the belt type you have and check All fluids. You can also use their help in checking the lights. It will save time. also will need to be sure you chock the vehicle first. My examiner would not come near it until it was.

sterlun

Jwaller I fully believe everything you say about your experiences. But I also think they're a bunch of idiots especially over the slack adjuster issues. What you're saying is that I could show up in a brand new OTR tractor and still be failed because the truck technology is newer than their tests. That's crazy.

I still kinda hold to the idea that the results may vary according to where you test at and how much of a butt the examiner wants to be. Just like how Setoyota and Hogtruck got their non-commercial class A but they refused to issue them to me. I think I could get them if I went to another office. Might do that this week. Maybe I'll try Dalton.

jwaller

Jwaller I fully believe everything you say about your experiences. But I also think they're a bunch of idiots especially over the slack adjuster issues. What you're saying is that I could show up in a brand new OTR tractor and still be failed because the truck technology is newer than their tests. That's crazy.
yup, it's crazy but that is the way it is. technology is ahead of the state testing dept, that is not surprising.

I'm sure you will get some variation from dept to dept but on this issue I doubt it.

You have to imagine and know in the back of your mind that the people giving you the test have no idea what they are looking at and what you are saying. they are waiting to hear certain key phrases and certain things. I remember when taking my test, as I said things they would make check marks on their sheets. Making sure I went over the checked items. If I went by them they would not be happy and I knew to go back and find something else to talk about.

On the walk around part of the test it took me about 1.5 hours. yes, there is that much to talk about and see and point out and check. you can and should use the ga dot checklist while doing your walk around. The only portion you can't use it on is the airbrake section.

here is a pretty good link for a decent pretrip on the exterior.
http://dmvanswers.com/questions/1887/What-must-I-check-during-pre-trip-inspection-for-my-GA-CDL-test

this link will give you both leakdown tests.

http://www.cdldigest.com/pre_trip_inspection/brake_check.html

Make sure you bring your stopwatch so you can time the leakdown and buildup times for the truck and trailer.
remember that when you pump them down not to have your parking brake set or you might cause damage to the truck by over applying the brakes.

Last edited:

sterlun

update

A little update for any of you still interested or subscribed.

We've discussed a lot on this thread about CDL vs Non-commercial class A licenses and also quite a bit about driving tests in the M818. Setoyota and Jwaller have both been particularly helpful to me as well as everyone else.

Went to a DIFFERENT license office today. Setoyota gave me hope that I could, in fact, have a non-commercial class A without being a fireman or whatever. I figured if he can have it so can I. :???: Guess what?! I got it!! No questions asked, take the test, take a pic, sign the affidavit, taadaa. Very happy. Like I said before; it largely depends on which office you go to and how they interpret the law. :cookoo:

As for what Jwaller says about not being able to test in the 818, I asked an examiner about that. He was familiar with the trucks. He said YES you can use them to do the CDL roadtest but you CANNOT get an air brake endorsement with one. So Jwaller was right. The examiner said the truck has to be a full air brake system to pass the endorsement test.

I've been told different things about whether you need the endorsement to drive the 818. He said the fact of the matter is if I get pulled by an old school DOT officer he'll be cool with it. If I get pulled by a rookie hotshot I'll get a ticket for not having the endorsement. aua

I guess the point is, if you don't get what you want at one place go to another till you score. :driver:

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Picked up my non-CDL today as well. I can now legally drive my 5 ton! They didn't give me a moments trouble when I asked to upgrade my license. I will say that you should read and re-read every question and answer before you click submit. Some of the wording is setup to trick you into selecting the wrong thing.

joeM62

I just got the new CDL hand book for GA it said (The air brakes test, which you must take
if your vehicle has air brakes, including air over hydraulic brakes.) page 1-2 Section 1. Like
I got told when I was asking about using one of the 5tons to do this make sure everything works right and everything is up to par.

Ruppster

Member of questionable origins
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just got the new CDL hand book for GA it said (The air brakes test, which you must take
if your vehicle has air brakes, including air over hydraulic brakes.) page 1-2 Section 1.

The problem is the CDL manual is targeted at those who truly need a CDL, it's not usually intended to cover the legal requirements for someone driving a big truck for personal use. It assumes you will be driving in commerce. I highly recommend finding out what state statute covers the air brake requirement to see if it refers to being a requirement for those driving a "Commercial Motor Vehicle" (CMV). If it uses the term "CMV" the next step would be to see what that statute defines as a CMV. If it says a CMV is a vehicle "used in commerce" then as long as it's for personal use then it does not apply.

On another note if the manual says you need to have the air brake endorsement (it's actually a lack of restriction and not a true endorsement) for a vehicle with air over hydralic brakes then they should have to accept an M813 or M818 for the test. If they want to say it is not acceptable then how can they say you need to have the endorsement? Kind of a Catch 22.

Ruppster

sterlun

It is a catch 22 but they will refuse the 818 because it is not a FULL air brake system. The manual clearly states that 3 essential requirements must be met in GA to obtain CDL with air brake endorsements (and in GA it is an actual endorsement).

Air Brake Check (Air Brake Equipped Vehicles
Only)
Failure to perform all three components of the air
brake check correctly will result in an automatic
failure of the vehicle inspection test. Air brake
safety devices vary. However, this procedure is
designed to see that any safety device operates
correctly as air pressure drops from normal to a
low air condition. For safety purposes, you will use
wheel chocks during the air brake check. The
proper procedures for inspecting the air brake
system are as follows:
 Shut off the engine, chock your wheels, if
necessary, release the tractor protection
valve and parking brake (push in), fully
apply the foot brake and hold it for one
minute. Check the air gauge to see if the
air pressure drops more than three pounds
in one minute (single vehicle) or four pounds in one minute (combination
vehicle).
 Begin fanning off the air pressure by
rapidly applying and releasing the foot
brake. Low air warning devices (buzzer,
light, flag) should activate before air
pressure drops below 60 psi.
 Continue to fan off the air pressure. At
approximately 40 psi on a tractor-trailer
combination vehicle, the tractor protection
valve and parking brake valve should close
(pop out). On other combination vehicle
types and single vehicle types, the parking
brake valve should close (pop out).

Step 3 cannot be done because the vehicle is not equipped and therefore disqualifies your ability to earn the endorsement.

As far as CMV, if it's for personal use you can get the regular class A like myself and some others. This license does not require ANY endorsements. I can drive a double, tanker, air brakes, whatever as long as it's not for profit/hire (crazy). But the test questions still come from the CDL manual and includes air brake questions. Basically, you need to know everything you would for the CDL exams. Just no road test. If the vehicle meets the weight limits of a CMV it doesn't matter how it will be used, it will still require some type of special license.

Squirt-Truck

Master Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Georgia, if used in commerce, a vehicle or combination vehicle over 10,000# is a CMV. (As of last Tuesday last week directly from the training officer.) CDL requirement is 26,001, class A or B depending on if you pull a trailer. Commercial or Non-Commercial, again "if used in commerce".

Gunnermac

Chief
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just for everyone's info, the noncommercial license that used to be class A or B is now class E or F. Unfortunately someone forgot to tell the folks at DDS customer services about the change. I called to ask about the written test for class E & F and was told there was no such thing As an E or F class. I was looking at the 2010 DDS handbook and title 40 at the time. After I asked why it was referred to on page 18 of the handbook, the person I was talking to admitted they had not been issued new books. Ga DOT also have not been updated, they do have laptops to look up the updated law. I have yet to find out what is in the written test. As someone stated before, no road test is required. There is also a specific exemption for "any self propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters, camping or travel purposes and is used solely as a family or personal conveyance" ( Ga Code 40-5-23 sub(c). I wonder if I put a cot and cooler in my 5 ton, would that be cool?

sterlun

I'm not sure but I think it has to have a toilet.

I've heard the info about Class E & F before. My license, however (issued this year) says Class A on the license.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks