• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 history/info and sf/97 question

98hd

Cleaning out the m818, and found some papers under the seat. It is a DA form 2408-9 dated 1 OCT 1972

Has my M818's serial number on it.

Org: 458th SVC CO

Unit code: WTFPAA

Utilization code: B

Vehicle use code: A

Year : 1973

Under Remarks it says: TI USARC 2005 7336C

Can anyone help with decifering some of this info?

How can it be manufactured in 1973, and the form is dated Oct 1972?

Also, on my SF 97 it is listed as a "1970", also the make is a "cummings" (oh lord) and the Model is a "Jeep" with body style listed "truck"

Will they let me correct this at the DMV maybe? Or can I request a correct SF97 from GSA?

There is also another paper, that listes it shipping from "W8134B SR 0458 CS CO home detachment" to DRMO Ft. McCoy

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
What is the VIN number and registration number of the truck? (preferably the VIN off the frame rail). Those will tell you the real built dates.

Regards,
David

98hd

Re: RE: M818 history/info and sf/97 question

DDoyle said:
What is the VIN number and registration number of the truck? (preferably the VIN off the frame rail). Those will tell you the real built dates.

Regards,
David
I will have to double check the VIN on the frame, where is it located? But the Vin on the data plate is C124-13167 and the reg. number is 05C-04070

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
We'll work this from the top.

"It is a DA form 2408-9 dated 1 OCT 1972"
The 2408-9 is a form that for lack of calling it anything else, is a title and registration for military vehicles. A change in the 2408-9 is suppose to be completed when a vehicle changes hands but as I often see, Private Snuffy often fails to complete it.

"Has my M818's serial number on it. "
Anytime we are looking into these things, David Doyle and I need to have the serial number and/or the registration number to get you accurate information back. This comment is more so directed to everyone out there that asks for our help.

"Org: 458th SVC CO "
This unit is a army reserve collection and classification unit out of ONALASKA WISCONSIN. Based on other information I have on this unit, this truck did not belong to them but was more than likely sent to them for classification (aka coding) for turn-in to DRMO.

"Location: Onalasak, WI "
Per above

"Unit code: WTFPAA "
This is a 6 digit code that designates the unit. Every unit in the military has their own unique number. This code is for the 458th as above.

Year : 1973
As stated before, Private Snuffy puts this information in. I personally would rely a lot more on David Doyle for the correct year of manufacturer. Only problem I would see is registering vehicles where the Army says it is 1973 and the actual year is something else. You would have to get a corrected SF97 or title. Since these vehicles are in most databases, you may or may not feel the need to work on getting it corrected.

Under Remarks it says: TI USARC 2005 7336C
This is the turn in directive number. Every vehicle turned in by the military must have the approval of an item (commodity) manager. Your vehicle was turned in in 2005.

How can it be manufactured in 1973, and the form is dated Oct 1972?
The 2408-9 has not been updated since 1972. We still use forms that haven't been updated since the 60's.

Also, on my SF 97 it is listed as a "1970", also the make is a "cummings" (oh lord) and the Model is a "Jeep" with body style listed "truck"
We can't answer this information without the serial number and/or registration number.

Will they let me correct this at the DMV maybe? Or can I request a correct SF97 from GSA?
Depends on your state but I know WV wouldn't for me when my SF97 came with the wrong year.

There is also another paper, that listes it shipping from "W8134B SR 0458 CS CO home detachment" to DRMO Ft. McCoy
w8134B is the Department of Defense Activity Address Code for the 458th. This is similar to the Unit Code but deals more with requisition and turn-in of equipment and supplies and the finances associated with this.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Check your dataplate carefully. If everything else below matches for the NSN and serial number, your registration number is 5G not 5C.

Here's what I came up with:

Organization: 454TH TRANSPORTATION COMPANY USAR

Nomenclature:TRUCK TRACTOR 5-TON Model:M818 W/W NSN:2320000508978
Serial Number:C12413167 Registration Number:5G04070 Year of Mfg:1970

Again, David can verify the year of mfg.

Hope this helps.

98hd

Thanks for all the help so far! I haven't checked the data plate for the reg number, but on the piece of paper it very well could be a G, it is marked up in the middle and I can't really tell.

medlog said:
Check your dataplate carefully. If everything else below matches for the NSN and serial number, your registration number is 5G not 5C.

Here's what I came up with:

Organization: 454TH TRANSPORTATION COMPANY USAR

Nomenclature:TRUCK TRACTOR 5-TON Model:M818 W/W NSN:2320000508978
Serial Number:C12413167 Registration Number:5G04070 Year of Mfg:1970

Again, David can verify the year of mfg.

Hope this helps.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
David,

Different subject. Prepare to receive a pm. Should have ALL of it to you within the hour.

No sleep for you tonight...or should I say this week. LOL

medlog

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Here's what I got:

Organization: 212TH Quartermaster Company (General Support) a general supply warehouse unit.

Nomenclature:TRUCK CARGO 2-1/2T Model:M35A2C NSN:2320009260873
Serial Number:54011479 Registration Number:NK04NB Year of Mfg:1972
Manufacturer:65909 Was transferred fairly recently with Usage 20997 miles.

This truck was assigned to a unit that had been in the desert. It may have shipped as far as their mobilization station. If it did go across the pond, you may find some transport stickers on it.

Hope that helps.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
The folks at South Bend did us a favor by stamping both the registration number and the VIN number on the data plate for a while. But they sure caused a lot of confusion with the way they did it.

The ID of NK04NB054011479 breaks down like this:

NK04NB is the registration number.
054011479 is the VIN number

Its a 1972 AM General.

HTH,
David

98hd

Much thanks to both of you again, you guys are a great resource to the site.

DDoyle: It is confusing, considering my M818 has a reg. number, that seems to have the year of manufacture in the number, where the deuce only has the ID #.

medlog: Where might I find a transport sticker? I haven't gone all over the truck yet, I just finally got it home yesterday and it has been raining all day.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Normally they are in plain site, front left bumper or fender. White sticker about 4 x 6 inches with a bar code and other data on it. Should be another inside the cab usually on one of the doors.

DDoyle

Supporting Vendor
98hd said:
DDoyle: It is confusing, considering my M818 has a reg. number, that seems to have the year of manufacture in the number, where the deuce only has the ID #.
Yep - through the years several different systems of registration numbers have been used, some much less informative than others.

Regards,
David

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks