• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818....I'm trying a new way to put a bed on it...

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I REALLY want to see this with some big tires on it!
It looks like it is sitting really high up there with the stockers, but it might look about right with the 16's on it.
Hopefully by this week end we will see it with bigger meats. Going out to Riley Thursday to pick these up. Not 16's but already mounted on 5T rims.

Attachments

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Jeff I have been wanting a set for over a year and those were just to close to pass. I'll be eating PBJ and oatmeal for awhile!

Vintage iron

Great idea. I think it was a learning experience for everyone. Most people would have given up! nice work!

I think you should take what you have learned and build a bed that is wider and a bit longer. post up pictures with the new tires on.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Well It is going to be awhile before they are on the truck. Had to work Sat but got everything lined up to do the swap on Sun. Another guy did the pre-inspection on the lot and we noticed as I was jacking up the M818 for the swap that something was a little off. Turned out the tires were mounted on PLS rims :doh: not 5 ton.

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Nope I decided against it for several reasons.
1. I didn't have at the time have extra cash to buy a set of 5T combat rims. Turned out there were mounted on the 3 piece PLS rims
2. I had just purchased 2 M146 trailers and didn't like the looks of the trailers being up at that angle.
3. Drove another M818 with the big meats and didn't like the performance going up hill, most folks think Kansas is flat but one trip through the Flint Hills will let you know it is not!
4. I am an old fart and didn't like using a step ladder to get in the cab!
I did however get a full set of G177's 11X20 and a M923 spare tire davit from 91W350 at BFR that I have put on and really like the better ride and performance.
This is how it looked before the G177 were put on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MR5F4p6cG1Y

Attachments

Last edited:

USAFSS-ColdWarrior

Chaplain
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the fore and aft tilting feature of the fifth wheel, I can envision a slight "dumping" ability, albeit only a few degrees but enough to facilitate offloading bulk cargo like sand or gravel from the bed. To adjust the tilt, I'm thinking a screw-jack or scissor-jack mechanism at the from of the bed.

Any thoughts on this?

jesusgatos

Sure, or an air or hydraulic cylinder or whatever you want. I'm almost certainly going to do this. Picking up an M923A2 on Monday and I'm mounting an M109 box on that, but pretty sure we'll end up buying a tractor next. Would have been this week if the auctions hadn't gotten all messed-up when GL's website went down...

JohnnyBM931A2

Has any more tractor to cargo bed conversions been done by anyone? I like the idea of using the 5th wheel to mount a bed. Anyone have any experience to share?
It's certainly a cool idea :) Though I think I would have boxed out the fifth wheel to drop it down slightly, even at the expense of losing some cargo space. I mean.. It certainly would have more cargo space than it did when I started.. lol :mrgreen:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks