• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 questions

DOCUSN1

Hi to all my name is Mark, I have a few questions pertaining to the 5 ton series trucks M818 tractor. What size are the lugs on the wheels 1 1/2 ? and are the square Budd studs 15/16 ? I will be going to retrive 2 trucks and will need to pull the tires to drop some weight and wanted to make shure of what tool sizes I am going to need. Also does someone have the commercial filter makes and numbers for all filters used on theses trucks ie wix or napa ect. and possible recomendations on conversion to common spin on types. I will be looking forward on hereing from the group looks like a lot of good pepole here. I have gotten the bug now. I all ready have a M101a1 Trailer redone and 3 MEP003a Gensets and some smaller diesel Gensets. Your help will be greatly looked forward to. Mark :-D

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

DOCUSN1

Doghead and Recovery thankyou for the response, I will be picking up both the trucks at Ft. Drum during the nicest time of the year of course. I checked the link and found the oil and fuel filters does anyone have a line on air filters for the 818 ? again thankyou. Mark

poppop

Welcome aboard!!!! I don't think you can get an air filter with the correct flow. The ones that fit don't permit enough air to move thru. They are readily available from several surplus dealers.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mark, did you preview these trucks? I will be up there early this week and I would get an eye on them for you if you want, while I'm there. If you want company or need help, I'm just of I81, exit 37. I'd be glad to help.

DOCUSN1

Hi doghead if you wouldent mind if your there I didnot preview the trucks but if your going to be there and didnt mind taking a snoop im all for it. The trucks are Lot # 5781 and #5782 from event 3772 M818 tractors 5781 is supposed to start and run on its own and 5782 it did not state on if it ran or didnt with only 1,748.3 miles on the clock I hope it does but cant complain if ya know what I mean. We were going to load them 1 at a time on my 11 ton goseneck 2 trips for each one was thinking about taking 5782 first in case it cant be started I have new batteries and such will bring along also lots of support equip. The reason I was going to pull the tires were to reduce the weight i will be running real close if they both run i have thought about tow bariing it up and towing them home idling. I have good exp. working on comm. tractor trailers but have not worked on the military ones yet. So if you dont mind I may invite your help if your near, you may know little quirks with these trucks that need to learn. I will have a 210 mile trip down 104 to get home. Let me know and thankyou very much. Mark

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, I called yesterday morning and Kevin is in MD this week, he said to give him a call next Monday morning.(so next week I'll be up there) I'd be glad to look your trucks over while I'm there. I will get you some measurements for the tow-bar spacing/mounting today.

LanceRobson

If you want to borrow a tow bar, I'm 8 miles from I-90 Exit 40, Weedsport/Auburn.

M818s need 4 batteries. I can loan you some, if needed.

The M809 series trucks have a set of air brake glad hands behind the front bumper to allow the interconnection of two vehicles. The towing vehicles brake air pressures actuates the towed vehicle's brakes. It's the safest way to tow.

You would need batteries for the towed vehicle to power the 4 way flashers while under tow. Two batteries will work, for that.

If you can work out the insurance for one truck, I'd try to tow the other one home.

I think an M818 weighs in at right around 20K. An 11 ton trailer is pretty marginal. The 11 ton rating assumes a load of uniform density, so where you put the tractor's center of gravity could be the difference between a broken trailer or tow vehicle and a smooth ride.

Lance

DOCUSN1

Dog head sounds good if you get to see what year they are that would help and Lance thanks for the offers I may need some help. I could most likley get ins. on 1 but i need the year i have make and sn #s what do you do about a plate then ? that would be the easiest way for shure. I had my dads peterbilt from work on the trailer as a starter and got it spaced right but I did not have much more to go though i put the most weight on the tri axles at the backside that was where i was going to remove the tires wheels from the tractor and put them in another vehicle. How much fuel is typicaly left in these trucks i read one guy had two full tanks with his. Thankyou again Mark

alphadeltaromeo

M818s need 4 batteries. I can loan you some, if needed.
They don't need 4 batt's...2 will work just fine. They only need 4 when it's super cold and the extra CCA are desired and the batt's are real cold...but they are still 24v and 2 will work just fine to get you from point A<>Z.

With that said, though, love the way you volunteered your batt's and tow bar! Excellent to see that sort of stuff on SS...good man!

Andy

Army Ed

recommendatio to you guys,we have ditched all of the brown batteries and went with either the hawker's or most common the interstate batteries.They seem to last allot longer

alphadeltaromeo

When I got my 818, I used the cheapest walmart batt's that would work. Now, being up in NY...you may want better quality and 4 of them lol

...another good reason I love the South...hehe :roll:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ps do you know what the distance is between the 2 front clevis on the front bumper ? thankyou again ,Mark.

The clevis(shackle)/tow-bar mounts on an M818 are 31 1/4", center to center.
The clevis(shackle)/tow-bar mounts are 1 3/8 thick, side to side.
The pin hole is 1".
They measure 32 5/8", outside to outside.
They measure 29 7/8", inside to inside.

Just for future reference, the 5 ton M818 has different shackle mounts than a 2.5 ton truck, they also are spaced slightly different.

Last edited:

DOCUSN1

Doghead thankyou the info will come in handy do you know if there is a way to tell the year of the truck through the vin # ? Thankyou again you guys are awsome I really mean that to this is the best site I have ever been on. Mark

Army Ed

also for the shackles there was actually 2 different styles.The newwer ones are flatten out a little while the older styles were round stock.i could get a hold of the older ones if anyone needs any.We toss those out cause they are all replaced with the newwer ones.You guys have no idea how much money is wasted in the Army...lol as far as parts go..

LanceRobson

Regarding the age; if the DLA contract # is visible on the data plates, look at the 7th and 8th characters. They are the year the contract was let to the maker. That will get you to within a year, in most cases.

The location of the contract year within the contract # is the same for any DLA contract, from band-aids to main battle tanks.

Lance

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
From the GL pics, I think I remember your 2 trucks are 1970 contract date.