• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 recovery questions.

KsM715

Still waiting on the EUC, but in the mean time Im trying to gather up the stuff I need to take. StreetBikeDepot went and looked over the truck for me and sounds like I should be able to drive it home if the brakes work. Those didnt get checked specifically but there are no obvious signs that they have been leaking or anything so Im bringing some DOT 5 with me just in case. I have found all the napa #'s for belts and extra lamps and fuel filter numbers. On the cross reference chart on the old site there is 2 different #'s for the water pump belts, anyone know which is correct? 2522425 or 25-24438? Im gonna bring 2 new batteries.

The questions I cant find the answers to are: upper and lower radiator hoses numbers. I can not figure out what engine oil to bring? I was told the power steering pump was dry from a leaking steering box, I know the pump uses engine oil but I dont know what weight. I also want to take some gear oil for the axles but I cant realy tell from the TM's and lube orders what specifically it is either. I just read GO 80/90. is that just regular 80/90wt like you would use in the axles of a standard pickup?

any help is greatly appreciated

Jeff

KsM715

additional ?

I want to tow my civy Jeep behind the 818 using those magnetic traler lights from the farm suppy type stores. Im hoping I can just put some 24v bulbs in it and hook it to the trailer recpt. by the pintle. Is there any type of adapter that with fit that recept. and allow me to plug in a civy flat 4 type plug?

again, thanks
Jeff

jwaller

Is there any type of adapter that with fit that recept. and allow me to plug in a civy flat 4 type plug?

again, thanks
Jeff

hahahaha. ha. NO. you have to make your own!

I use 15x40 rotella in my 818. I also use power steering fluid in mine and not motor oil.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I will second what JWALLER said about using power steering fluid in your power steering pump. I have never heard of using motor oil.

KsM715

Ok in LO 9-2320-260-12 on page 2 where it gives lubricants/capacities, expected temperatures, and intervals, down where the steering and hydraulic systems including steering gear box, it says 5qts and under expexted temp rang is says OE/HDO 10. the same as is list for the lubricating oil, internal combustion engine listed above. Farther down the page it says the trans/tansfer/ diff and such as GO 80/90. I take it that OE/HDO 30 or OE/HDO 10 is the engine oil and the GO 80/90 is 80/90wt gear oil.

So isnt that saying that the steering gear uses the same as the engine?

Last edited:

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OE/HDO 10 is 10 weight oil. 10 weight oil is the same as power steering fluid except the later has additives.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
additional ?

I want to tow my civy Jeep behind the 818 using those magnetic traler lights from the farm suppy type stores. Im hoping I can just put some 24v bulbs in it and hook it to the trailer recpt. by the pintle. Is there any type of adapter that with fit that recept. and allow me to plug in a civy flat 4 type plug?

again, thanks
Jeff
OD Iron LLC Military Vehicle Parts and Accessories

jasonjc

P/S does call for 10wt eng oil. Thats what I put in mine but if Bkubu says p/s fuild will work I'd trust him.
As for the grear oil yes 80/90 G/L5 Transmision would need a oil that meets the MT1 spec some 80/90 GL5 does and some does not. it will say on the label MT1 or yellow metal safe.

Lower hose is a mil only item have too get from a dealer.
Top hose is just stright hose 2 1/4"ID any auto parts place should have it or get it next day. Get some new HD hose clamps not the cheapos.

My m818 looked good:-D started with a little work:-D ran great :-Dsounded great:-D but would not move:cry::evil::twisted: the trasnfer case is bad:cry::cry:
Hope yours is better than mine.

Proud owner of a 20,000lbs lawn ornoment:cry:

KsM715

jasonjc, is yours a recent GL truck? one from the OKC sale a few weeks ago?

I know how it is when you hear all good things about a truck then go to get it and it turns out bad. I want to drive it home but Corey ( StreetBikeDepot ) says he can tow it and has room to store if it doesnt work out. Im just afraid of getting 100-200 miles down the road and something going south on me them Im afraid I'll be really screwed.
Ill be starting a thread about SS members between there and here when the time comes.

KsM715

Thanks clinto but I think I know where theres a few 105 trailers that the owners have cut the lunette off and put a ball hitch on and put plastic civy lights on but still have the military lights on them. gonna check to see if the still have the electrical hook up on the front and see if they'll let me cut it off and fab my own.

jasonjc

Mine came from OKC mid to late last year sept-oct or there abouts. The one I got before that was great too. IF it weren't for the 2 forklift hole's in the radator:evil: But it did have less than 3,000mile on a overhaul of some kind:-D

d19opsman

M818 Ballast Resistor

I am looking to replace my ballast resistor in my 1970 M818. Does anyone have a suggestion for a possible upgrade or replacement part? The common surplus houses don't seem to carry what I need!

Thanks,

d19opsman

hoopsoft

Corey and I have recovered several trucks, if you can get the sucker started and its not leaking anything you'll make it.

Most common issues we've run into is several trucks brakes didn't have fluid, if the power steering don't work that won't stop you from being able to drive it home, I mean come on deuce's don't have power steering.

Bring oil, brake fluid and some coolant and good batteries 2 series 31's start these trucks like crazy, you really don't need 4, I didn't believe it either. Series 31 blems are $40 each at interstate.

KsM715

Good to know about the blem batts. I was at napa yesterday pricing belts and hoses and oils and all that stuff. They wanted $128 bucks each for group 31. How much brake fluid should I bring? The Lube Order doesnt give a capacity.

DOCUSN1

Gear oil I use Napa GL/1 in the diffs it is yellow metal safe and fairly reasonable price. As far as motor oil shell rotella t 15/40 in mine. I have not had to add any power st. oil but atf will work fine. Brakes a quick way that worked fine for me on my last recovery was fill the res. with fluid and leave the cap off and slowly push the brake pedal down all the way and release slowly back up. Do that a few times and top off and put cap on tightand see what you got for pedal. This has always worked for me the last truck I got did not have any brakes before I did this and they worked fine for the ride home. One major problem I had with my last truck was a fuel problem. The tractors have dual tanks and a valve to switch between the two tanks. Do not switch the tanks just fill and drive on what ever one its on. Mine valve got stuck half way and drew air loseing prime and was a real bugger to get back going. Take a grease gun and hit the water pump from the top at the grease fitting with a shot of grease. Take some coolant with you to, and remeber to check your SCA in your cooling system when you get home. hope this helps. Mark

hoopsoft;345705 if the power steering don't work that won't stop you from being able to drive it home said:
If you get the chance to drive a 5 ton with the power steering not working --- you will not soon forget it.

you may need Soldier B next to you pulling on the wheel and maybe Soldier C on the running board to help also!!!

I had to run my M819 a ways when the alt belts failed and took the rest of the belts out with them.

very hard to turn.

maybe you could pull the lines off of the assist cyl and it would cut down on the resistance?

hope your recovery goes well with minimal problems.

KsM715

Thanks for all the words of wisdom guys. Im gonna print off this thread and take it with me so I'm not standing there thinking to my self "now what did that guy say about checking the brakes".

I get more and more excited every day:-D

StreetbikeDepot

Don't sweat it too much, you'll be fine. I'm going to be out there Monday to pick up a truck, I'll check the brakes while I'm there, if I have the time I'll try to start it up. Don't get too carried away with buying parts, its not like your going to the desert to recover this truck, there is a Wal-Mart a mile or so down the road if you need anyting.

Definitely call your local Interstate dealer and ask them for Group 31 blems, thats the ONLY way to go. If they try to charge you more than $40 for them I can pick up a set here for ya.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks