• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 recovery questions.

fasttruck

Army has been using silicone brake fluid for some time. If dot 5 is regular brake fluid it will not work. Power, steering, as cited from lube order, is oe (engine oil) 10 weight. "power steering" fluid could damage seals. Military spent a lot of time selecting lubricants and unengineered changes usually do not work. Engine oil has been 15-40 similar to rotella t for some time also.

KsM715

I wonder if someone put PS fluid in it? StreetbikeDepot looked the truck over for me and said the PS res was empty and looks like the stearing box was leaking?

I need some help with this engine oil thing. Im used to seeing engine oil in 10w 30, 5w30 15-40 and so on. What is it that I should use in the PS system? Is 10w 30 the same as the 10 weight oil the L.O. is calling for?

The brake fluid I got is silicone brake fluid.

I also found the 623 bulbs I need (or dont need if all the lights on the truck work).
The S250 shelter I picked up has 4 of those "dome" lights with the 1 clear lens and the 1 blue lens. Under that blue lens is a 623 :roll:

Attachments

Last edited:

fasttruck

I always followed lub orders religiously and no harm has come to me or my mvs. Military has been using silicone brake fluid for some time. If dot 5 is not silicone i recommend you get some. If you drive truck home thing about checking tire pressure, all of mine have been low at gl site.

KsM715

I plan on checking the tires. The brake fluid I got is silicone. what sould I do with the steering? Is it possible to drain and flush the system after I figure out whats leaking and fix it? I plan on driving it home so Im hoping its not leaking profusley and I can just keep checking and topping it off till I make it home.

KsM715

Got another question to add to this list. Do the batteries have the standard top post or the threaded type I know a guy thats an Interstate battery delivery driver and can get me some blems but asked about the posts. I looked at the group 31 at tractor supply and they had regular top posts and ones with something like 3/8's threaded top posts.

KsM715

Im just concerned about the cables in the truck. If it has posts and the batteries I get have studs how that gonna work? is it easy to swap cable ends in the field?

Corey, what do you think of the PS fluid discussion? Should I just use trhe PS fluid I got since its already leaking? or should I get some 10wt oil?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks