• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 sucking air

KsM715

While working to get the M818 up and running after sitting over last winter and summer I've come across a leaky fitting. While operating the primer pump I noticed this fitting dripping fuel. Could this fitting be sucking air into the system? Its not before the IP so I dont think so but Im not a diesel mech. I took it apart and noticed the the plastic line had been whittled down to get the brass ferrule to fit over it.

Once I got the truck primed and running it seems to run fine. Throttle response is quik but takes a second or 2 to drop down to idle and will drop pretty low, if its still cold it will die but if its warm it will drop and return with out stalling.

Attachments

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It could suck air there, if one of the check-valves in the pump are sticking open.

Does the hand pump feel like it operates quickly and efficiently?

I ended up replacing the lines on my hand pump, to get rid of a very similar issue.

I had replaced the orings and cleaned the check valves first, without curing the issues.

If you clean the pump, pull it from the dash and do it in a cake pan, so you do lot loose the ball and springs under each of the screws. And there is also a needle valve that needs to move freely(inside it).

KsM715

When the system is primed, the pump handle is very hard to operate. I can see the fitting when the hood is up and I'm pumping it and watch it drip. (when I'm pushing the handle in I can see it push the fuel out pretty good, almost a steady stream) when the system has lost prime the handle pumps really really easily and smooth.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a sticking valve in the pump, to me.

I use carb and choke cleaner and Q tips.

Notice that the needle valve is spring loaded(on the end of the pump shaft)

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's really only a 30 minute task.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks