• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 Trans noise

I have a 1970 M818 and started to get a rolling grinding noise when the trans is in neutral. When I bought the truck I was told by the previous owner that he greased the throw out bearing. I was wondering if this is something that can be done and if so where can i find the fitting to do this? I am asking this because I believe the noise to be coming from the throw out bearing. If anybody has any other suggestions on what it could be please feel free.

Thanx

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The throwout bearing should not be touching the clutch pressure plate unless you press the clutch, and hence cannot make noise in neutral, unless it is incorrectly adjusted and has no free play. No free play, i.e. contacting the pressure plate all the time, will cause the throwout bearing to wear out prematurely. I would change the transmission lube and see if the noise improves, it not, you are looking at bad bearings in the ol' spicer.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup, you got a dying throwout bearing. No lube point. Will have to pull the trans out and replace. Rent a heavy duty transmission jack, it will make the job easier.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Possibly. You'll have to bring it in and either get measurements or numbers from it. Option B is to call a dealer such as Memphis Equipment and have them ship you the right part without any hassle.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
anybody would be cheaper then memphis, thay are my last resort