• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 TV show rental

Wastelander

Greetings, got a strange request. I am potentially renting my truck out to a TV show, and although I've done TV work before, I've never rented my property out. I know to get everything in writing, read the fine print, and to make sure I know exactly what I'm getting into, but what I don't know is how much I should charge. Its just a one day shoot in CA, well known and popular TV show (that's all I can say,) and no offers have officially been made. Anyone here have a good idea of what I should be charging?

Apologies in advance if this kind of topic is I'll looked upon, or placed in the wrong part of the forum, I figured the general 5 ton section was where to put it.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I was just contacted a few weeks ago to supply four deuces for a movie shooting in GA (Tom Cruise, mega budget).
They were offering 500 per day per truck and they were to be static (stuff being loaded/unloaded).
They balked when I told them they would have to pay shipping both ways since the trucks (they belong to my buddy) are not tagged or insured. Production companies are notoriously cheap when dealing with props but they'll pay mega bucks to a has been actor.
Just make sure everything (including shipping) is included in a written contract.
If it is a SAG picture then you will have to dance to the union's tune as to who will be driving or moving the truck around.
Make sure you make plenty of "before" pictures in case there is damage to your truck.
There is money to be made from movie work but you have to be very careful.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I hope you were not referring to Tom Cruise as a "has been". I actually enjoy his work more now than anything since Top Gun (although the star of the show was the plane).

Edge of Tomorrow
Oblivion
Jack Reacher

WM is correct about getting it all in writing. My wife was on a game show once and had to join the union for the day.

Avn-Tech

I just did the primer of the fighting season, and supplied 2 deuces.
I got $300 a day plus delivery/pick-up, easy and hassle free. (One day drop off, second day priemer)

laterrrrrr
avn-Tech

USMC4302

I supplied my civvie semi for a Discovery ID shoot last year (I've worked with this particular production company before via a "Picture Car Coordinator") and got paid $600/day. I usually get $300-400/day for the smaller (pickup sized) trucks. What they'll pay probably varies by region/location. The smaller production companies are fun to work with and a lot of times, you can even end up as an extra. I was a detective on stake out once :) The big production companies (for movies) are usually long days but you eat really well :) I had to drive one of my trucks for a shoot once because the actor couldn't drive a stick. It's fun to do once in a while but they usually don't pay enough to make it worth doing often. At least when I've done it, I was told that you don't have to join SAG if you don't have a speaking role.

Last edited:

Wastelander

Just have to know the right people usually, any TV work I've done is because j k new somebody in the business who had need of my skill set or property.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks