• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m818 unlock axles??

krall

I just picked up a 5ton and well things didn't go horible but the brake lines were not good on it and ran out of fuel just outside of the yard and wasn't able to get her running, anyways it was not that big a deal I got it towed and felt much safer, but when the wrecker came to get her loaded the axles would not dissengage, we tried the lever but just couldn't get the front to get free. had to eventualy pop out the hubs and got it back that way, so I wondering what was the hold up there? do these not come out of 6x6? just something to put in the knoledge book for next time.

heres some picks

Attachments

KsM715

You couldnt get the t-case in neutral? If your last move was in a forward gear and you tried to tow it backwards the sprauge was probably engaged.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
even with the t-case in neutral, this condition would still have happened

If you HAD read the TMs, you would have KNOWN that you CAN NOT do what you DID without a chance of MAJOR DAMANGE

Last edited:

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
yeah it was really bound.
Jack up the front, STAY AWAY from the tires, thay may spin, once thing settle down, pull the front hub caps, move the truck this way till you get it running, then when you have a chance, put a deuce air switch in line to the air feed to the trans valves, shut off/dump the air, this will put the xcase in neutral. this is a MWO by the way

And pray that the sprag did not explode.

Last edited:

krall

how would i tell if the sprag did explode? where is that located. the wrecker driver was doing like 80 ( no kidding) with this but had the front lifted.

, put a deuce air switch in line to the air feed to the trans valves, shut off/dump the air, this will put the xcase in neutral. this is a MWO by the way

thanks for this, I think I understand what happed more and this sounds like a good solution

whyme

i would check and repack the bearings in the rear as well. romoving the axles and leaving the hubs exposed could have allowed the grease to be forced out and also allowed road grime in.

whyme

in the future id just drop the driveshaft, its quick and easy, did it on my m35 before i had it towed just to be safe.

Hammer

Ok, so the tow truck driver picked it up from the back, but removed a hob from the front tandem?
Sounds like he didn't know what he was doing...
I would have pulled the front drive shaft if I was going to do it this way.
And I AM a big tow truck driver, I tow semi's and this kind of stuff all the time.
If anything in the transfer case is bad, it is on his shoulders. He shouldn't have left the front shaft in.
Or if he pulled the axle shafts like he did on the front tandem, he should have pulled it from the front.

KsM715

Ok, so the tow truck driver picked it up from the back, but removed a hob from the front tandem?
Sounds like he didn't know what he was doing...
I would have pulled the front drive shaft if I was going to do it this way.
And I AM a big tow truck driver, I tow semi's and this kind of stuff all the time.
If anything in the transfer case is bad, it is on his shoulders. He shouldn't have left the front shaft in.
Or if he pulled the axle shafts like he did on the front tandem, he should have pulled it from the front.

It sounds like they first tried to tow it backwards and it wouldnt go so they went to the front and lifted the front and removed the axles from the back.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
It sounds like they first tried to tow it backwards and it wouldnt go so they went to the front and lifted the front and removed the axles from the back.
I talked to the OP on the phone last night, that is exactly what happened, then everything was locked up, thay pulled by the front, pulled one side axles, when the OP got the truck home, thay checked, things seemed to be unlocked, maybe the MV GODS looked favorably on the OP, we talked how to test for operation, waiting to here the outcome

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks