• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M818 w/trailer legal question

davidkroberts

What are the legal issues in dealing with an M818 while towing a military flatbed or lowboy trailer, or any trailer. I did have my Class A CDL at one point and did drive OTR but im clueless on how this needs to be licensed or approached. Im not concerned driving it just the legalities.

Ive always wanted an M818 and having a larger vehicle available for GL runs would be awesome. This wouldnt be for business just for me and the occasional (monthly or so) GL or whatever run. What can i get away with having a Class B maybe and what weight would i be able to haul? I live in west tennessee and live about 2 hrs from fort cambell and redstone arsenal. That would be as far as it ever has to go.... and back of course.

Im asking because goosenecks are very expensive and I dont want to buy another civi truck to pull one every once in awhile. I own a jeep and FJ cruiser and have no desire to get a dually just to haul a trailer occasionally, that would be silly. I also feel bad keeping having to borrow one all the time.

jwaller

every state is different, check local laws. It's all about how you are going to use it.

If it were me, and is is bc I have one too, I have my class A, commercial insurance, commercial tags, commercial medical card DOT and MCC numbers as well as any IFTA decals I may need for where I'm going.

Am I overboard, NO, I'm legal.
Go without any of them and you should know the fines.

davidkroberts

well i like to have never found it, but i will need a class A CDL to be safe. I dont really mind that at all....never know when having my CDL again might come in handy.

Do you need MCC/IFTA if you arent hauling for hire? Im talking about truck requirements not driver requirements

davidkroberts

okay ive about got this figured out <posting so next guy who searches doesnt have to go through all this>

This is for TENNESSEE only!!!!!! as of 2009 regulation booklet

the M818 has a gross weight of about 20,000 lbs GVWR which is below the requirements for a CDL. Anything you tow has to be below the 26,000 lbs mark for both trailer and load so basically a loaded m105 and you "should" be good

If you are using it on a farm or nursery and are staying in state and within 150 miles of home AND are transporting materials and/or machinery for said farm you dont need a CDL

If you have it setup as a RV you dont need a CDL (not sure of requirements)

If you leave the state or are outside the 150 mile barrier you need a CDL and tenn requires the airbrake endorsement for air over hydraulic brake systems, but only when used in conjunction with a commercial vehicle.

If your in the same problem im in and want to use it to tow home vehicles, trailers, generators, and everything else you may want to go get you need a CDL Class A with airbrake endorsement at a minimum. You are also going to need a Class A if you are using almost any gooseneck or fifthwheel trailer setup. your also going to need MCC/IFTA creds.... most fees are based on miles driven so it probably wont be too bad.

Last edited:

M813A1

To be safe I would get a Class "A" CDl because the trailer will have air brakes and the combo will be close to 26,000 empty so any load you carry will be over the 26,000 weight limit for a lower class license depending on your state !! That is what i would do to be safe !!

m818hayes

heres my input, take it how you may!
i thought about trailers with my 818 as well. you might want to read your tag again, because on my tag, the gvw on my rig is around 40,000 heavy, light is 19,000 and change. weight requirements is around the same as tenn. when hauling and technically yes you will need a cdl if you do haul anything. now heres where it gets tricky in ct. the law states that if a vehicle's gross is ofer 26,000lbs you need a cdl class b, and anything in tow above 10,000 lbs gross requires a cdl class a. after hearing this i oppted out of getting a low bed or something to that nature. i do not know how other states work but in ct if you register antique you are not supposed to use the truck for hauling at all. heres the gray area. that being the case, technically, the trucks gross weight is now the light weight and any one with a standard drivers licence can leagally drive it. also, if you do not have air brakes as finals, you do not need an air brake endorsement. but i will push my luck and try to get away with pulling some sort of tag along at some point. live on the edge i guess. good luck and if i am wrong please feel free to steer me in the right direction

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks