• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M819 wrecker questions?

rpetersencatmech

Hello i am a heavy equip mechanic i deal mostly with d8 up to d11 cat bulldozers in coal mines in so ill and the service truck i currently have isnt worth a dime in the mud i get stuck on flat ground when it rains haha. Coal mine mud is worse than trying to drive on axle grease. My question is on the 819 what will the boom actually handle at say 15 ft ext? Im really needing awd of course but... Need to b able to pick up 16,000 lb at about 15 ft and be able to rotate without tipping the truck over. Would the 819 do it with the boom? I dont mind if i have to add hyd, longer outriggers.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
They used the 5 ton wreckers to pull the engine/trans packs in the M1 tanks so they should be able to handle heavy equipment as long as you make sure you don't overload the boom and remember your radius weight limits. The 5 ton wreckers will get stuck, especially in gumbo mud. They are not pleasant to ride in for long distances and due to the weight they are slow on the road, even slower if you are using them for their intended purpose.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
About the most you can pick up and swing without boom jacks is 6300lb. The limitation is not the outriggers, it is the strength of the boom support superstructure. It will bend when overloaded.

rpetersencatmech

Wreckerman893, the mines i work in have good hardpan under about 8 inches of slop for a single axle mechanic truck w welder and crane mounted on service body front end is pretty light makes it hairy going anywhere haha

rpetersencatmech

Also i only get about 30 miles away from base 80% of the time and have a road truck for the 20% so no issues there just wanting a severe duty truck i can actually get to the job without needing a dozer to drag me to it.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
The wreckers can lift 20K lbs. But only from a fixed position and with outriggers and the ground supports for the boom. That's only using the hoist to lift as well and the crown retracted and the load directly behind the rear of the truck.

15ft out and 16K lbs is going to be well outside the realm of operation unfortunately.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I think that applies to just about any truck-mounted crane that I can think of. That's free-lifting an M35 15' away.
Oh there's truck cranes that could do that. But we're talking like a large Grove Truck mobile crane that is huge. Then you might need a HET to get that unstuck!

fasttruck

M816 would lift the pack out of a m60 tank which was a 16 cylinder continental diesel, but with the wrecker right next to the tan k and the boom as close mto vertical as possible.

rpetersencatmech

What i really am looking for is the all wheel drive with the ability to swap tracks,motor ect on dozers in rough terrain the service truck i have now has a sidemount crane rated at 10,000 lb at 12 ft nearly vertical the problem is getting to the work

rpetersencatmech

Im kinda partial to the military 6x6 for the simple reason is it is designed to do basically what i need it to do and its just cool haha. There are civvie 4x4 service trucks but in reality they're just bobbed 5tons w weaker axles

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The m819 CAN pick/swing 10,000 lb. WITHOUT boom supports on out riggers, 20,000 lb. WITH boom supports, I have lifted over the 10,000 lb. limit over the rear without the out riggers, the pick was about 5' off the back, no swing, the front tires never went lite.

The m819 is a awesome working wrecker, can do a HEAVY rear lift tow with the front tires never going lite, NOT like the standard military wrecker, with the way it is set up, ALL the weight from the rear trunion forward is counter weight ( crane, ect.) the m819 has 26' of boom, the really only down side of a m819 as with ALL military wreckers is that the boom does not have enough elevation, so for a heavy lift off the side with all the boom sucked in, short rigging is called for. It is a very under rated as far as lifts go, with a short boom, on out riggers, a good hoist motor and good boom hoist cylinder, I could see a 16,000 lb. pick, where bending of the boom would come in would be trying to a HEAVY pick out on the outer extension, or on the first extension out more then a few feet with a lowered boom, with the boom up as far as it can go, I do not see much of a issue. Remember, CAUTION is the name of the game, In order to use the truck to its max you NEED to KNOW the truck, not just jump in/on and start pulling levers. I would start out lifting some weight, see how she handles, see some limits, then work the weight up to the needed lift weight, if at any time you get the felling or see that that is as much as you can do. then stop and set that point as the MAX. weight that you can do SAFELY without tearing up the truck or the load.

I have had my m819 for 10 years, I believe I could do what you are asking to be done with my truck, though if asked to, I would use BRAND NEW hoist cable, go though the pump, not that either is bad now, just with MAXING out the truck, I would want as much edge as possible.

if you want to talk m819, call me.

rpetersencatmech

73m819 thank you a bunch for your input. Since you have done a heavy lift with your truck you had the info i was wanting. In my business caution is the name of the game if we tear something up on these dozers we eat the cost and dropping a $100,000 motor and wiping out a truck isnt an option ill definately respool w new cable and put her through her paces before we try a motor swap with her. Typically we use 2 trucks for engine swaps but it gets a little hairy if one guy is in a hurry you know how it is

rpetersencatmech

One other question, who actually manufactured the crane on these trucks? I cant seem to find a straight answer ive read garwood made them but info points to garwood going out of business in the 30s? I know with specialized equip you cant just go to the local parts store and get what you want but how hard is it to get parts other than hoses for the crane?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Austin Western made them.

There is an ermetto (flareless fitting) that is used on the steel tube to hose ends that is obsolete(unavailable).

The only options are to manufacture(I have drawings to make these) adapters, or cut and weld or braze your old hose end to a new fitting(AN works well), or run longer hoses and eliminate the steel tubing through the cab.

As for crane parts, several dealers have parts.

For a truck to make a living from, I think it's a poor choice.

Have you considered installing a knuckleboom on a AWD truck?