• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M819 wrecker questions?

RAYZER

"Garwood" manufactures the recovery winch on the this truck.
The crane is very versatile because of its reach and 360° rotation capabilities but is limited in extreme weight lifting capacity especially with the last boom extension pushed out, (which must be pushed out and pulled in manually)!
Some parts may be obsolete for the Austin Western crane, and if you blow a bottom swivel head hydrolic hose it's quite an exstensive repair (ask me how I know), some 22 hose end connections to disassemble before you can pull the assembly!
Doghead is right, this crane wouldn't be a good choice for your application.
I love mine though, it's a real asset!

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was in a Cat D11 down in Kentucky once and have watched Ron run his M819. I would use a 819 to do an engine removal/install on the big Cat. My opinion (that's all it is) is that it is not big enough. Great truck for what it was designed for but swapping engine that big isn't it.

I like doing things that have the capacity to do the job easily. If it were my job I would have something in the 15-30 ton range for moving something that big and pricey (emphasis on pricey).

(I just did the brakes on a car, had two jacks and two stands under it, and each one capable of keeping the car up by themselves.)

rpetersencatmech

Thank you all very much for your comments and input on my questions you all have been very helpful. The 819 platform is definately the way im going but i may do a few mods to make it easier to do what i need ie beef up a few things without compromising original design ect. A civie awd platform is really unrealistic pricewise let alone adding a crane to it haha

rpetersencatmech

Been pricin knuckle booms wow them babys are high dollar cheapest one ive found within 200 miles of me was 14k and it was rated to 10k lb the average is around 20k just for the crane

NEIOWA

SX12937024F012A[1].jpgSX12937024F012B[1].jpgSX12937024F012J[1].jpgSX12937024F012C[1].jpgSX12937024F012K[1].jpg
I have not seen an M819 inDOD surpus system for years. Now one listed Mechanicsburg DLA 23313mi. Looks quite nice. Couple months likely be in auction system. Has 5th wheel tow device as well.

Last edited:

fasttruck

These vehicles were designed to tow the M260 aviation flatbed gooseneck trailer. They will also handle a M 172 or similar trailer with a gooseneck. They cannot be coupled to a platform trailer such as a M127 or M821 as the corners of the trailer will hit the structure of the tractor when turning corners. Truck in picture also has a Holmes built fifth wheel towing device which can be used also with a fifth wheel tractor with either a standard 2.5 (m818,195)" or 3" jaw (M123, 916).

snowtrac nome

I have to agree with the others I do the same thing out here in western ak on dirt roads and un improved trails to gold mines I have chose to purchase an lmtv and build it for my needs. I see no need for more than 8000 pounds of lift, as that is what it will take to lift a transmission off one of those cats. Any thing larger and the site owner is going to cough up an excavator. when the truck arrives this summer I will photograph the build, right now the bering sea is froze up and we aren't getting any thing in or out unless I want to charter a c-130.

Another Ahab

I have to agree with the others I do the same thing out here in western ak on dirt roads and un improved trails to gold mines I have chose to purchase an lmtv and build it for my needs. I see no need for more than 8000 pounds of lift, as that is what it will take to lift a transmission off one of those cats. Any thing larger and the site owner is going to cough up an excavator. when the truck arrives this summer I will photograph the build, right now the bering sea is froze up and we aren't getting any thing in or out unless I want to charter a c-130.
You know you WANT to.

It's just those pesky little details of booking a charter are holding you back.

empty.jpg

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Once you go 819, you will NEVER go back to a inferior wrecker, there are a lot of WANT TO BE wreckers but ONLY one tractor wrecker a real wrecker, the m246 and the m819 :driver: :-D :mrgreen: :goodjob: [thumbzup]

skycrane

looks like the hiab xs-622 knuckleboom will do just over 18k lbs at 18feet. pk 53002 will do just over 18k at 19 feet. they both weigh about 10k lbs and eaisly attach to the frame of a truck with huge U bolts. You will want the smallest configuration they make, witch gives a boom length of about 35 feet with a capacity of about 10k lbs

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks