• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M820 van fuel consumption

Z71

What kind of mileage can one realistically expect out of an M820 expandible van with the 855 cu in Cummins/5 speed manual transmission and standard 11 X 20 NDT military tires? Also, what is the highest possible cruising speed for this vehicle?

I have an M109 (2.5 ton shop van) now and I am thinking about upgrading it to M820, which has a larger box plus a hydraulic lift gate. The M09 fuel economy is not that great - about 6-7 MPG at 55 MPH.

Last edited:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Top speed.........53 MPH downhill with a 40 MPH tailwind.

MPG.....depending on your ability....3-4 MG if you hold it at 50 MPH.....you are in a heavy vehicle with the aerodynamics of a concrete block.

If fuel milage is a concern you are barking up the wrong vehicle.

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can put it all in perspective with a dollars-per-mile cost. With the M818 at 6 mpg I figure about $1 a mile to operate it. That's fuel and wear items, tires etc. You will be probably $1 or more a mile just for fuel. :shock:

It's a hobby, you have to pay to play.

Have fun.

Sirblissfull

I own 2 M820's one is a M820A2 and I get 4 miles a gallon.

With fuel prices thats running almost 1.25 a mile. Cheap it is not.

That is with super singles max speed I achieved was with GPS showing 64 MPH and it was down hill with a heck of a tale wind.

Your MPG in florida will be better then mine at 8 thousand feet above sea level with half my miles being steep hill climbs.

Last edited:

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have gotten 6.4 MPG in my stock 814, and I was trying REAL HARD. Feathering the throttle, short shifting, egg between my foot and the right pedal. Top speed? I have seen 57.3 MPH, going down Saluda Mtn in NC. The 814 likes 2000 RPM, and 49 to 51 MPH. I would think that you could get 4-5 MPG in that rolling house. :mrgreen: