• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M870A1 Acquisition Thread

agazza2

The pictures do no justice to actually seeing the trailer in person. This trailer is awesome looking. You did a great job with the restoration Matt.20150124_084103.jpg

M1075

I see the ramps on the trailer in the picture. Did you use those to load/unload M114 or did you lay the neck down? Either way, how did it work?

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see the ramps on the trailer in the picture. Did you use those to load/unload M114 or did you lay the neck down? Either way, how did it work?
Used the ramps to load the M114. My winch doesn't work right now. It worked well, but its a long ways up.

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M35A2-AZ (Albert) built me these outriggers for the rear of the trailer. They were created off of one I borrowed from M920, (Soni) which he also manufactured. They sit inside the pockets on the side of the trailer near the rear. As far as I know, the M870 and M870A1 trailers never were issued these as part of the BII with the trailer. The wood for the outriggers would normally be the inner planks of the trailer deck. Since all mine are held down, I will just get some more 2x12s and carry them when I need the additional width.

I might not ever use them, but I figure better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them. Now to prime and paint them.

Attachments

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CB any chance you could reverse engineer one of them into a dimensioned drawing?

I missed out on the four trailers that went in ME this week (3 A0's & 1 A1) - even though they were listed as scrap, with no registrable paperwork, the prices went crazy right at the 5pm close - a couple kept going 'till 5:45.

None had any Bii, not even the second King Pin.

So, if you can muster a drawing, I should be able to fab some, for when I eventually find a trailer!

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
CB any chance you could reverse engineer one of them into a dimensioned drawing?
Yeah, probably. They're pretty straightforward. I'll see what I can do.

I missed out on the four trailers that went in ME this week (3 A0's & 1 A1) - even though they were listed as scrap, with no registrable paperwork, the prices went crazy right at the 5pm close - a couple kept going 'till 5:45.
Other than the no title part, they didn't seem to go too high to me - I felt they were pretty comparable to past auctions, even on the low side for 870s.

None had any Bii, not even the second King Pin.
The BII for the 870 and 870A1 is only a 3-1/2" kingpin.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
(.... drg...) Yeah, probably. They're pretty straightforward. I'll see what I can do.
Thanks. I can do fractions (if I have to) and mm!!!

Other than the no title part, they didn't seem to go too high to me - I felt they were pretty comparable to past auctions, even on the low side for 870s.
Did you notice the droop on the gooseneck of the A1? I guess it was that one that the GL guy inspected for write up on and just copied it for the other three. "pivot pins oval" etc.

The BII for the 870 and 870A1 is only a 3-1/2" kingpin.
Not sure which one gets used more, 3 1/2" for the 916 or 2" for the 931....
I 'spose that chock blocks, binders, chains and prybar (not for A1'a though) are not technically listed as Bii in the TM, just "Operators Controls and Indicators"[2-2]. Probably never see any of them on any that come out!
I guess that the Bii "Truck wrench" and " ..handle" are pretty standard for wheel changing.

Do you know if the 931 and the 916 have different fifthwheel heights? The later LoadKing 403LF trailers (civi version) have a "shim" that is used to change the height of the gooseneck for different tractors - like an optional stop block that goes in the parallel linkage. Would be a nice mod if you have both Kingpins as it already has 12 and 24v lights.....

Last edited:

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Only pics I could find of 870s on 931s were of models - I know the model boys like to be real accurate, but I am curious why there are no pics of the real combination...
on M931 model II.jpgon M931 model.jpg
Fifth wheels in pics of real 931s definitely look "civi" in height though, much lower than a 916.

ReoRider

Howard--where did you get the model and what scale is it? They are great for trying out painting patterns and trailer loads.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nope John - didn't get any model - just googled for pics of M931 and M870 then followed the pic source.

Howard--where did you get the model and what scale is it? They are great for trying out painting patterns and trailer loads.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks