• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880,318 to 360 swop

w200/m880

Following the cracking of my block due to the harsh winter i obtained a replacement engine that had been in a garden for 10 years with no carb or covering,on strip down it needed a plus 60 rebore,new lifters,cam,bearings and push rods,by chance i saw a ad on epay for a dodge van being parted out with a 360 in it,so went and looked,heard it run and brought it home.
Unfortunately he kept the carb so its on my wish list but im kept busy making this one pretty with new oil pump,cam chain,oil pump,fuel pump and water pump all off my original engine which had been freshened up and was runnin perfect.
First pic is cracked block,second is one out of garden,rest are of the 360.

Attachments

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you know that your A/C compressor can be easily modded to an air compressor?
One of these years I'm going to do that with my Ambulance. (has the 360 w/air already)

I've been tempted to swap the 360 out of my dart and into my M880

Attachments

Last edited:

diesel583

Do you know that you have to use a 360 torque converter. I did this conversion over 25 years ago. That was the only big thing I ran into. 318 is balanced diferantly than 360, one is internal and one external but I forgot which one is which.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
318 is internal and 360 is external.
Do not use 318 dampner or torque convertor on a 360.*

*there are after market flex plates with the balance weight that allows the use of a std torque convertor as found on 318's.

w200/m880

luckily i got the original torque converter and front damper with it so it should be fine,i didnt know about air compressor though,i will be junking that as not required.

w200/m880

Ive taken some time to get engine bay ready,just got to replace and paint inner and outer fenders to improve things,interior is shot to bits,im not sure what to do about the radiator support which is toast they are impossible to get here in england i may have to make a good one fron a 83 ramcharger bottom piece and weld my original top piece to that,i have a brand new rad which came in its original crate i bought on epay for 75 cents.

Attachments

jaxsof

A lot of 360s had a version of the 904 as well. make sure you have a 727 converter. Oh, loc-up and non lock up converters are not interchangeable either. Hope you got the right one, and have fun with your baby!

w200/m880

In 1978, most Torqueflite transmissions gained a lockup torque converter clutch to mechanically connect the converter's impeller and turbine, eliminating slip for better highway fuel economy. This addition required the removal of the torque converter drain plug.
HTML:
mine has a drain plug
hopefully the splines are the same,i will check diameters are the same,anything else to check ?

w200/m880

Well after some time ive now learnt more,ive ordered a b&m flex plate that allows my 360 to run any torque converter as converter that came with 360 didnt fit,drivers side motor mount was different as casting of block is different .

Attachments

w200/m880

318 standard non power steering pulley and fan wont fit with power steering so ive put on 360 bottom pulley,water pump pulley and clutch fan,still looking for a 4 barell carb.

w200/m880

318 to 360 swop

B & m flex plate now fitted,i had a scare as bolt holes didnt line up to converter and when i offered it up to crank neither did they,i came indoors and checked part was correct via b&m website and the googled my flex plate doesnt line up,luckily someone else had same problem and its just a matter of rotating it as it only fits one way on converter and one way on crank,makes sence when you know as balance has to be in same place,anyway if it had come with instructions i would have known.
Got to get header gaskets and we are good to go. [except carb]

Attachments

m880 unimog

looks like you have been busy!-and i see a motorcycle in there too-dodge,s and bikes!!:beer:
reading about the flex plate360318 alighnment took me back-no internet days-i had all but spat the dummy,my girlfriend played the flexplate until she found it DID line up-
i still get asked on occaision-if i need showing how to wrench my truck:oops:

w200/m880

318 to 360 swop

Kawasaki now sold as wife lost job 3 months ago.Still got cbr900rr though.
Bought a recon thermoquad from the states,so good to go now but got some welding to do before fenders and motor can go in,been restoring dash as weathers crap.
Bought a twin snorkle filter from a jensen interceptor dealer,looks great.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks