• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 axles under M1008?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm seeing 08's getting sacrificed all the time for the magical d60 front. Has anyone swapped in a d44 front and d60 rear to save the truck?

IdahoPlowboy

My 1028 was going to get scrapped but I was able to wheel and deal and it was saved. I have a d60 and a d40 out of a older truck I see no real problems with putting them a 08 or 28.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M1008 axles are a bit wider than the M880 axles. Also, the C-C distance between spring perches is different, for both - which would be easier to adjust on the rear axle, than on the front.

Basic dimensions, below....

G.

Attachments

martindc1

Why get axles from an M880? My guess is that you could probably find an ad on your local craigslist right now for a civi Chevy axle set for $400 or so. You'd probably be getting a 10 bolt front with a 14BFF. A set with a 14BSF may be even less. No it wouldn't be 100% authentic or quite as strong, but like you said a truck would be saved plus it would be a cheap fix for the less-than-desirable highway gearing in stock form. IIRC the main hangup would be relocating the rear spring perches if sourcing parts from a civi GM 3/4 ton.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks