• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 carb issue

fslay0435

In working to fix some gremlins on my newly acquired M880, I replaced the fuel pump to solve a no-fuel issue. Now I have confirmed that with the new pump, fuel IS making it as far as the carburetor. However, I have to pour gas into the carburetor from a cup to keep it running.

I guess the carb is probably gunked up but I am not sure which type of kit to order? The local parts houses have several kits for the 76 Dodge with 318 and Carter carb. Which do I want?

Are the Carter 2-barrel carbs even worth rebuiding? Any advice or info is greatly appreciated.

diesel583

If it hasn't been lost there is a tag on the top of the carb, this is the number to take to the parts house. I've run both the stock carb and a holley. Stock is less trouble in the long run

sf38a1

I rebuilt mine, only to have more vaccum issues with it . it would idle but as soon as I went to give it gas it stalled. Ended up on buying a new one from the parts house. which I 'm glad I did, the one that was on the truck was the wrong carb anyway, seems it was changed with a later model. Nice thing about a new carb, it works great , with very little adjustment. and I know its right

sf38a1

No I dont, but I can find out. I went to a reputable parts house. If you know the guys there they should be able to get the correct one. Holly , carter , there all the same when it comes to the 2 barrels , as long as it the correct one for your vehicle. Use to be the hot rod guys like the carters simply cause they could sit for a long time , between shows ,and the gaskets would dry out and leak like the hollys. But I had Hollys on my M715 and M725 , and they sat for long periods and I didn't have any problems. Just my 2 cents
Im thinking it was .$150 . for the carb. a kit was $25-30. I bought the kit first , but ended up haveing to buy a carb any way. ..

fslay0435

Well I went out and found the tag on the carb. Has an 8121S on it, so I call up a friend of mine and I'm looking at around $90 total parts and all for a complete strip down, cleaning, and rebuild of the carb.

Sure wish I could find a cheap 4-barrel intake and carb, tho.

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well I went out and found the tag on the carb. Has an 8121S on it, so I call up a friend of mine and I'm looking at around $90 total parts and all for a complete strip down, cleaning, and rebuild of the carb.

Sure wish I could find a cheap 4-barrel intake and carb, tho.
The ports in the heads are so small that a 4 barrel & intake wouldn't make much difference.