• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 Front Axle Question.

kg5252

Hi guys. I have recently taken my front wheels and calipers off of my M880. I need one new front rotor and brake pads for both sides. I have found the parts I need, but the parts dealer asked if the Dana 44 on my truck is a 3500 or a 4500. Apparently whether the axle is a 3500 or a 4500 makes a difference in the parts. I know this is a 1 1/4 ton truck, so I am going to guess that it is probably a Dana 44 4500. Thanks.

kg5252

I am ordering the rotors and wheel bearings, but the parts dealer asked if the "ring gear" was 8.5in or a 9.75in. He said there should be a metal tag on the front differential, but it is not there. If someone could tell me the correct size, that would be great.

diesel583

Don't take this wrong but your making it too complicated. It is just a W200, yes just a 3/4 ton Dodge. Got one I have drove for close to 39 years. Most of your parts guys weren't born when it was new. So Call it a W200 when you need anything othe than military specific parts.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't take this wrong but your making it too complicated. It is just a W200, yes just a 3/4 ton Dodge. Got one I have drove for close to 39 years. Most of your parts guys weren't born when it was new. So Call it a W200 when you need anything othe than military specific parts.
OP has a valid question. The W200 of that era was available with 3500 or 4500 lb front axles. I could never understand why Uncle wanted the lighter duty axle, although it served well.

diesel583

The only ones I ever saw with the 4500 had the snow plow option. Got the power steering off of one, the pump was high pressure. Steering was too good, had to change the pressure valve in the pump.

bill3542

i've checked both Auto zone and Advance Auto locally and was told no longer available, i've found them on E-bay and gonna check a few other places.

left was real bad and was replaced with one from auto zone. went to replace right side, the center hole and bolt pattern was wrong on replacement rotor. they could not find any from other stores or in warehouses.

right rotor is so-so and did pass inspection. i still would have liked to replaced both of them.

snowtrac nome

a quick fix for the unitized bearing is to remove everything from the ball joints out on a chevy 3/4 ton truck, change out your stubb axle and put in the components from the chevy to your dodge, use drive plates if you want full time 4wd ,and locking hubs if you have added the doug nash kit to your np203.

michigandon

i've checked both Auto zone and Advance Auto locally and was told no longer available, i've found them on E-bay and gonna check a few other places.

left was real bad and was replaced with one from auto zone. went to replace right side, the center hole and bolt pattern was wrong on replacement rotor. they could not find any from other stores or in warehouses.

right rotor is so-so and did pass inspection. i still would have liked to replaced both of them.
I have a couple sets on hand here. One pair is very low mileage, the others I would think ought to be turnable.

LMK if I can help.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks