• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M880 Project, Begining

M880 GC

Lanty,

The new chain that I have is an double row with +/- 4 degrees notches built in it, freinds in low places.

I had the engine running and when I goosed it a bit, I saw wisps of smoke come out of the pass side crescent.

Any idea why it puffed? The engine was only warm, not hot.

Thanks Lanty.

Elwenil

No idea why you would get anything out of the open space there. Perhaps the intake gasket is leaking and it's coming from the inner passage there? It's a very thin sealing area there and leaks are not unheard of.

M880 GC

Lanty,

Timing chain and manifold gasket time, sounds like a good combination repair project. That will give me a good look at the cam and lifters also.

I found a '74 D300 4 speed 2WD at a bone yard, has the bellhousing and small parts that I need to put the conversion on track. Don't know if it is a 318 or 360, but looking at the damper will tell me that. Good thing is that it is an intact chassis. Doesn't look messed with so far.

Elwenil

While you are in there, check the distributor drive shaft and it's bushing. If you pull the shaft out, rotate it with a large flat blade screwdriver but be sure to note which direction the slot is pointing so it can go back in in the correct location to keep the timing configuration. Slide the shaft up so that the gear clears the cam and see if it can be wiggled back and forth in the bushing. If so, you might as well replace it while it's in there. If you do forget how the shaft was in, with the engine at TDC on the compression stroke (same as when replacing the timing set) the slot should point at the front intake bolt on the driver's side. Also check the pushrods for any bent ones and the condition of the valve springs and seals.

M880 GC

Lanty,

All great tips to check. Might as well check for as much as possible while it is open.

I was telling a friend about the project and he also suggested a carefull inspection of the cam chain housing for errosion wear that might turn into a hole in the case and let the coolant and oil mix.

Thanks

M880 GC

Wrench Time Update

I pulled the intake manifold today, the wisps of smoke were at the exhaust crossover passage for the intake manifold preheat system.

Then I pulled the timing cover off to check the chain. I found about 1 1/2" of slack on the chain when you test it like a v-belt, it was beyond bothering to measure. I'll start a new post with a few pictures of the pertenant repair items. The new chain is, well, tight. Job is incomplete. The cam was only in the "ballpark" for timing the valves and ignition.

I spent the afternoon at a boneyard pulling parts, tomorrow I should have my 318 to 435 bell housing, sheet metal, flywheel and misc clutch control parts. The engine and 2WD 445 transmission are staying behind. Fortunately, this is being taken from an intact chassis, we'll see.

I have high hopes for a significant improvement in engine behavior after the timing chain replacement.

steelsoldiers

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
I'm glad to see your project is progressing nicely! You should be ready for the 2009 GA Rally. Thanks for keeping us updated.

M880 GC

Chris, Thanks.

I spent the 1st half of saturday on the timing chain and intake manifold, then went to the boneyard that afternoon. I have high hopes for an improvement after seeing the condition of the get it in the ballpark old chain.

Today I drafted my neighbor to help me pull the trans out of a donor D300 to get the bellhousing, F/W and all clutch related parts and sheetmetal for my conversion. It was a bunch of work to politely and safely pull the parts w/o flame wrenches or lifting it. The old trans has a broken off guide tube portion of the front bearing retainer, nasty. I even have the old trans cover to use as a pattern to cut a new hole for the stick. Going off the top, the 1st gear ratio of the 435 is 6.69:1, should be quite the creeper in 1st/low.

The B/H that I got is correct, but the mounting holes need helicoil repair for the transmission, at least I hope that's all it will take.

I'll start the timing chain post after I get it running again. The electrics have been behaving just fine, knock on wood.

Brian looks pretty good playing the junk yard jockey, right at home.

PS, Chris, details on GA rally?

Attachments

Last edited:

Elwenil

I think trying to carry a NP435 like that would kill my back, lol. And yeah, the granny gear is nice for creeping along. When you put the transmission in, red Locktite the 4 large bolts that mate the transmission to the bellhousing as they tend to back out if you don't. That's probably why your threads are damaged.