• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M882 Power Steering and 727 Torqueflite ?

b17goinmyway

Hello List, This is my first posting. Wanted to give it a shot and see how it works. I just signed up on SS. I own three M882 trucks. Two are driveable the third is semi-dismantled as you can see in my posting photo. I am going to swap out the 318 V8 for a 1988 Dodge Truck 360 4v V8. Anyhow I just purchased and ex-fire and rescue M882 that is one of the early 76 model trucks. DOD is 7/76. This truck has power steering and I wanted to know if power steering was an option for the M880 series or possibly just an add on by the Vol Fire Dept. or Kentucky Dept of Natural Resource that had the truck previously. Finally is the automatic tranny that comes with all of these trucks the infamous and tough 727 torqueflite tranny. I thought I had read somewere that it was in the same family but was a lighter or (not as tough) as the regular 727 torqueflite. Just a couple of questions I wanted to get resolved. I love these trucks and found out this past winter just how tough the really are when I pulled out three very stuck vehicles including a 4x4 Jeep Grand Cherokee from a deep snow filled ditch. thanks Dan :-D

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The power steering never came factory on the M880s. It is an easy swap if you can find a donor truck, that is the hard part. The M880 series 727 is the "regular" transmission and is tough as nails.

Yes they will pull anything provided the tires can get traction. Mine pulled a loaded cement truck out of a hole once, everyone's jaw dropped including mine.

Enjoy the site, it's a hoot reading about everyone's experiences with these old trucks.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey welcome aboard my friend. Just painted my M887 yesterday. I, too am on the lookout for power steering gear.

Elwenil

Like NDT stated, the 727 is the standard automatic transmission used by Chrysler since the '60s in heavy duty applications. All big block cars and trucks and all full size 4WD trucks used the 727 up until the A518 came out, which is basically the 727 with an overdrive unit added on. The 904 Torqueflite was used in light duty applications with small block and 6 cylinder engines and is the smaller sibling of the 727. It is not suitable for heavy duty or 4WD applications. It has been used for drag racing in the past over the 727 because of slightly quicker times but requires a lot of money put into the 904 to beef it up and even then it requires a lot of maintenance and rebuilds.

b17goinmyway

Guys, thanks for your replys. Good to know that the tranny is a good ole 727 torqueflite. I guess the power steering unit on the 76 M882 must have been added. Anyone know what years to be on the look out for with regards to the Dodge truck power steering gear box. I bought a 1988 Dodge Ram 250 with a 360 4v that I am going to swap into the 12/77 DOD M882. I did not look at the gear box to see the design style, but I know the 88 has power steering. If it will work on the 77 I will convert it over to power steering. Does anyone know when the M880 series production started and when it ended.? I have read that they made 44K units and I assumed this was only from 1976 to 1977 production run. My 76 has a DOD 7/76. Are there some on the list with an earlier DOD? thanks Dan :-D

1976 Dodge M882 DOD 7/76
1977 Dodge M882 DOD 12/77
1977 Dodge M882 DOD 1/77

N1265

Acording to the technical manual put out by the army, The model year
( body / grill change ) for 1977 started after august 15 1976. one could reason that the 1976 model year started in august 1975, but I can not confirm that.

The 76s are getting harder to find, I suspect that there would not be many still around that would have a lower DOD.

The 44K units would be for both years '76 and '77

My power steering unit came out of a 1979 Ramcharger.

b17goinmyway

Thanks N1265. You just reminded me that I have one of the tech manuals for the M880. Now if I can remember where I put it. Anyhow that would make since as I know Ford use to start their new model productions around the middle of Aug. Would be interesting to see what the earliest DOD is and pin down when the production run started for the M880. I was happy to get my early 76 Model as I had not seen for some time, in fact I don't think I have ever seen one in person. I bought mine off ebay several weeks ago and what was really nice was the fact that the truck was only 10 miles from my home. Drove it home with no problem. Will try my luck at posting some photos of it along with this message. thanks Dan

Attachments

donald_r

Did you swap out the 318 V8 for a 1988 Dodge Truck 360 4v V8?

Is the '88 360 Carb'd or Fuel Injection?
Can you share any problems you ran into?

Exhaust hook up the same?
Linkage the same?
What about the T-converter and flywheel, all the same?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks