• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M887 compressor set up pics wanted

citizensoldier

I have recently purchased one of these trucks and would like to see pictures of the original complete setup for the compressor. It still has the switch with the plug on the side. I am after the maker of the compressor head, tank mounting position and brackets. Any shots of the inside with the proper gear would be helpful so I know what I am missing. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I checked my stack of M887 pics, nothing! I have the tank and regulator for mine, just not installed it yet.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have some Lane, I'll dig through my photos and post them and/or e-mail them.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a start....

I'll look for more photos tonight.

Last edited:

citizensoldier

Hey 319 thanks allot! That shines a little more light on the subject! Its very different from the Chevy box.. Keep em coming! I wondered where the Oxygen tank sat! I could not figure that out .. Hmmm.
Whats the tank on the top right?

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey 319 thanks allot! That shines a little more light on the subject! Its very different from the Chevy box.. Keep em coming! I wondered where the Oxygen tank sat! I could not figure that out .. Hmmm.
Whats the tank on the top right?
I'll send you photos of both boxes so you can compare. The tank on the right appears to be an additional air tank, a crude field modification.
The M887 compressor is mounted perpendicular to the length of the box while the M1031 is mounted parallel to the box, as shown below.

citizensoldier

Whats the story with the lift blocks under the cab? Do all M887's have this for some reason? I will take pictures of them if it ever quits raining!
So far I have replaced, shocks, all gear lube, water pump,tires,thermostat,all brake lines,fixed grill,removed 10 mouse nests especially in the cab vent box ! There is a good mouse ass story that goes with that box but I will tell it later. Still fixing small things here and there and upgrading some stuff.

citizensoldier

She aint no M37 but I can weld in the woods now..:-D Seems to run real nice. A few typical M880 electrical issues, removed 10 lbs of mice turds, powerwashed the inside floor, put new rear brake lights in, and she eats fuel like no tomorrow! But I love her anyway..:wink:
Will a 6.2 or 6.5 bolt to that 727 trans? Might just get rid of them spark plugs!

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lookin' Good Lane [thumbzup]
Geez that poor GMC, you took her feet for the Dodge :wink:

Cab mount lift blocks.
The rear of that cab is raised at least 3 inches.
I have / had M880, M882, M884, M886 & 78 W400 AF Ambulance, none of which has those blocks.
Why?
Could it be that the contact box is that heavy & squatted the ole Dodge so much that it was like driving uphill??????
My -10 for the M880/M890's does not have the M887 in it.

Hmmmm.............

Contact truck & M816 wrecker, I know whose phone number I'm keeping handy if I venture near the Tip of the Mitt!

Last edited:

citizensoldier

Ok Bob the M880 family gooroo.. Here is todays issue.. Started fine this morning.. I took it across the street for a run letting everything get up to temp and seeing how she did.. braught it back parked it in front of the garage for the day. Went to start it this evening and nothing but a pewwww sound under the dash? Smacked the starter a couple times and still the same sound but not even a click from the starter? Whats the problem here? These trucks are a electrical nightmare! Ughhh..fusible link? relay?
As for the cab block issue.. What is on a stock M880? By this I mean how tall are they or are they just rubber bushings? I viewed some other photos of M887s and the box sits higher compared to the cab than mine. You think the frame could be bent? Hmmm..

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Starter relay on fenderwell. Pos cable from battery connects & big cable from starter connects among other wires. I have had issues with connections on these. Take wires off & clean, as just trying to tighten them could break the relay.

{...........out crawling under M880...............}

Rubber bushings about 1" thick all 4 positions under cab ( a little thicker than under radiator support)
Bent Frame? that should be quite noticeable on the frame rails.
from a direct side view, the back of cab front of box, are they parallel to each other? It didn't appear uneven when I saw it .
Maybe they botched the welding when fabbing the box to frame mounts & lifting the rear of the cab was the easy fix .????????????????? Hmmmm.........

N1265

If cleaning up the relay does not do the trick. There is a fusible link that might be causing your trouble, it is in a red 14 ga. wire coming off the starter relay that goes to the amp. meter. if this is the problem you should not have any power going into the cab of the truck. you can also check : neutral safety switch, amp gage and the usually burnt firewall connector. Remember, that all the power for these trucks run THREW the amp gage, therefore if it is shorted out ( witch was common on these units ) you will get no power coming past that point in the circuit.... if it has not already been modified by you or a previous owner, I am betting that your problem is in the firewall connector, look for melted plastic or coroded terminals. the # 1 sign of a bad amp gage is melted plastic around it, but you will have to check it to be sure. if it is bad you can just by pass it by bolting the two terminals together... Let us know how you make out...

Last edited:

maxim

See, we discussed at length how ugly those Dodges are and now you fallen in love with a sow's ear.....she is lookin good though..and the mil spec rims too!!! ..sheeze now you have gone over to the dark side young Skywalker...

citizensoldier

See, we discussed at length how ugly those Dodges are and now you fallen in love with a sow's ear.....she is lookin good though..and the mil spec rims too!!! ..sheeze now you have gone over to the dark side young Skywalker...
The only thing I have fallen in love with on this truck is the welder in the back and the price to buy and fix it.. Those are my mud tires off my GMC and I dont like tires to sit so find something and run em ! Is what I say.

I replaced the starter relay and it seems to be starting ok. The Amp meter is missing and looks like they already modified that somehow but I am afraid to dig into it and start a chain reaction of things to fix! So for now she starts and moves and will get the welder to where I need it.

I was just eying up a 440 and some power steering units for it which brings me to my following questions.

1: Will a two wheel drive power steering unit work on the 4x4?
2: Is there certain years that are better than others for power steering?
3: Has anybody done this and can fill me in on tricks or what to look for?
3: Will a 440 Dodge bolt to the 727 trans and fit in the truck?

Last edited:

Bob H

Steel Soldiers Supporter
1: Will a two wheel drive power steering unit work on the 4x4?
2: Is there certain years that are better than others?
1. yes & no, the rotations are different on the 75-77 4wd vs 2wd, so while a 2wd unit will bolt up you will turn right when the wheel is turned left :shock:

2. 75 to 77 4wd are direct replacement (steering box)
72 to 93 {either 2wd or 4wd} can be made to work, by replaceing more than just the box.
more detailed info on this has been posted, and can be found if you are fortunate enough to have the right search magic. ( I sure don't :cry: )

Last edited:

citizensoldier

I will try my search magic too.. I always cut the woman in half and blood everywhere when I try to do magic so I can here you on that.
I did find one 4x4 truck in my secret stash of scrap vehicles but I think its a older style truck. What was the first year for this style truck? How do you tell?
That opposite steering option would work good for the back and crab steering! :roll: Glad I didnt start to pull it off..
Oh by the way the welder works good! Pizza anyone???

Attachments