• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M890 series?

jugshooter

Hiya All. I'm kinda new here. At the Military Veterans Museum in Oshkosh, WI we have an M890. I've seen reference to M891, M892, & M893 but am having a hard time finding out more about them...:?: What are the different models? All I know so far is the M890s are 2wd.
Thanks for your help.
Roger

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Let's see, the 893 is an ambulance, and the 891 is a 890 with 60 amp alternator kit and the 892 is a 891 with a communications kit, which is basically a radio rack in the front of the bed. The 60 amp alternator is the same as all other army trucks, and 2 additional batteries are mounted on the passenger side. These kits almost always got stripped out when the trucks went to fire dept service.

The 880 series is a nice truck, but they have a bad habit of rusting from the inside out. They need to be garage kept at this point in their lives.

papercu

A copy of TM 9-2320-266-10 will explain all, untill then:
From TM 9-2320-266-10

Differences Between Models.
a. General. The 1 1/4 ton trucks in the M880 Series are of various body styles and have various final drive mechanises.
b. Cargo Truck. The 1 1/4 ton 4X4 cargo truck is a general purpose vehicle designed for highway or cross-country operations. The 4X2 cargo truck is designed primarily for highway use. Both models have a pintle hook at the rear to permit towing of a trailer.
c. Ambulance, Both the 4X4 and the 4X2 ambulance models are designed to carry up to five litter patients plus one ambulatory patient, or up to six ambulatory patients. The 4X4 model is designed for both highway and cross-country operations. The 4X2 model is designed primarily for highway use.
d. Telephone Truck. The I 1/4 ton 4x4 truck is designed for highway or cross-country operations in support of telephone maintenance. It has a pintle hook at the rear to permit towing of a trailer.

c. Model Number Designation. The different model configurations are listed below.
(1) M880. A 4X4 cargo truck.
(2) M881. A 4X4 cargo truck equipped with a 60 amp/24 V generating system kit, in addition to the vehicle's i 2 V electrical system.
(3) M882. A 4X4 cargo truck equipped with a 60 amp/24 V generating system kit and a communications kit, in addition to the vehicle's 12 V electrical system.
(4) M883. A 4X4 cargo truck with a S250 shelter kit installed in the cargo box. In addition to the vehicle*s 12 V electrical system this model is equipped with a 60 amp/24 V generating system kit.
(5) M884. A 4X4 cargo truck with a S250 shelter kit installed In the cargo box. In addition to the vehicle's 12 V electrical system, this model is equipped with a 100 amp/ 24 V generating system kit.
(6) M885. A 4X4 cargo truck with a S250 shelter kit installed on the cargo box..
(7) M886. A 4X4 ambulance.
(8) M888. A 4X4 truck with a telephone maintenance body installed.
(9) M890. A 4X2 cargo truck
(10) M891. A 4X2 cargo truck equipped with a 12 V electricai system and a. 60 amp/24 V generating, system kit.
(11) M892. A 4X2 cargo truck equipped with a 12 V electrical system, and a 60 amp/24 V generating system kit, and a communications kit.
(12) M893. A 4X2 ambulance.
Body Change. Models with a part number effectivity date before August 15, 1976, have a different grille and front turn signals than those manufactured after that date

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had an M890 a while back - never really got a chance to use it before it went away. It was my first MV. Perhaps the parts lived on in another form....

Like to see pics of yours!

jugshooter

Thanks for all the info.:-D I know my son (known here as dogtag) has pics of some of the museum's trucks, just don't know where he has them now. He took some nice night shots of the WC56 that I helped with. And he has some shots of others too. I'm not sure if he has some of the M890 yet. If not we need to get some. Then if I can get him to post a link here.....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks