• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915 odd, heavy thumping on rough roads. WTHeck?

JH1

My M915 has a very distinct, heavy thumping on mildly rough roads. It sounds as if there is a 50 pound weight on a few inch long lever arm that is banging around down there in front of the driver. It sounds like something is loose and hitting the frame. Nothing seems to be loose. Runs fine, steers fine, and the thumping is not felt in the steering wheel. Anything typical for this symptom? Thanks.
Jim

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know in my M915, even though everything is tight and checked out, rides terrible on rough roads without a trailer, and makes all kinds of nasty sounding noises.

I don't recall a noise quite like yours. I might check and see if the shocks are worn out, and the axle is hitting the stops.

JH1

Gents,
All good suggestions. The sound is not rhythmic at all. It happens even on paved roads. I checked some of the cab mounts and they were tight, but I'll check the rest of them. I think it is not the motor mounts because even slight bumps launches whatever it is. I watched the hood and it is not moving during the thumping. The axle is pretty far from the stops, so I don't think it is that. I checked the rubber inserts at the ends of the shocks and they seem fine. It really sounds like something very heavy is dangling loose and smacking against the frame.

I'm surprised nobody suggested the noise was from the loose nut behind the wheel bouncing around inside the cab.:naner:
Jim

rchalmers3

Half a mile from the Broad River
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Noises like that bother me as well. May I suggest you raise the front end off the ground and give the front steering and suspension a good inspection.

I use a long lever bar to pry against rubber mounted items like motor and cab mounts. I have found that some rubber mounts and bushings look OK under compression but fail to hold in extension, which can lead to the type of noise you are describing.

If the motor is too heavy to lift with the bar, you can set the parking brake real hard and slip the clutch in first and reverse to load the drive train. You will need a spotter to watch the motor and trans mounts under load and determine their condition.

Another item I use for rattles is to thump different parts of the truck with a rubber hammer, but this works better for identifying lighter rattles and clangs.

Rick

JH1

I'll try that. The M915 doesn't have a standard clutch to pop, though. It is a semiautomatic 16 speed. Thanks. Will report back.

rmgill

Step out on the running board after setting the hand throttle and hold the steering wheel while you lean around to try to locate the sound...

:mrgreen:

No, don't really do that.

JH1

Thanks. I'll look under there again, specifically at the back end of the leaf spring. There should be a grommet of some sort isolating the leaf spring from the support bolt, shouldn't there? If it's shot or missing, that might do it.

It sounds like your steer axle rear main leaf eye (driver or pass. side) is hitting the lower frame flange.
Regards, Bob

rangereter

JH1, Absolutely... most of the time you would not consider this failure on an ex-military truck because of the inherent lack of miles or wear. On a commercial civilian class 8 truck with a half a million plus miles on it I would be looking for the contact of normally isolated suspension components to chassis every time I hear or feel what you are describing.
Regards, Bob

JH1

I got my back dirty today and found something. There is a large triangular bracket that holds the air dryer to the frame, and the bolts holding it to the frame were a little loose. I gave it a couple of swift kicks and it sounds like maybe that's the problem. I'll report back. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.
Jim

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glad you (maybe) found it. I wouldn't have thought of that being loose. It pays sometimes to just crawl around kicking stuff! lol.

Hope that's it an it will be another 'happy Steel Soldiers ending'

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks