• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m915a1 Allison Transmission swap for Eaton Fuller 10 Speed

codyharper15

Has anyone actually swapped their allision for a 10 speed? Im looking for a list of parts I would need to complete the job. ANy help would be appreciated.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Some issues I can see:

Installing a clutch pedal assembly. You might be able to use a hydraulic unit rather than manual linkage.
May have to relocate the Jake Brake actuator.
Prob need a different flywheel.
May have to change the lenght of the jackshaft.
Cutting hole in floor.

LanceRobson

If I plan on using this truck for hauling, 60 mph is just too slow

Just remember that the brakes were designed and specified when the national speed limit was 55 MPH....

Comparing the 20P and 34P manuals for the M915 and the M915A1 will give you a general idea what clutch parts are needed. I suspect a visit to a Cummins service shop and an Eaton Fuller shop, along with the truck, may be in order.

Perhaps the easiest thing to go would be to change the rear end gearing but doing that or going to taller tires will cost you a fair amount of torque and lugging capacity at the rear wheels.

In addition to the list of parts from others you may want to check out whether you'll need a different bell housing on the engine.

Lance

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
He is talking about a 915, it has air brakes, it is a road tractor, should be easy to switch over to a 10 speed, I don't see a big deal, the 400 is a standard over the road motor so a flywheel/starter should be easy to find, the 10 speed and adaptor should bolt up, I would look in a big truck salvage yard, bet you could find a complete straight gear set up, should be a easy install, hyd./air clutch, filtered air to the trans for the range shift, and a drive shaft build.