• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m915a1 headlights stoppped working

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it were me I would start by checking for 12 volts at the dimmer switch with a multimeter. If none, problem is upstream at the crappy light switch. If 12 volts at dimmer, problem is downstream, like disconnected wires, bad bulkhead connector, bad grounds.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Taillights or stoplights? If taillights, the light switch is bad. If stoplights, check to see if you pulled the trolley brake lever a little.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the exact same issue, it was the junky headlight switch. I put in a better aftermarket new one, but still ran relays to power the lights to keep the load off the switch.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It was a couple of years ago, it was a universal pull switch with two positions, marker and headlight. I just got two 30amp universal relays, and wired headlights to one, and the markers/dashlights to the other. I mounted them under the dash near the switch. I am sorry that I didn't take pictures, but the parts were all available at my local auto parts store.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The front markers are not the same wire as the headlights, remember the main light switch feeds the high/low beam (dimmer) switch, before going to a bulkhead connector, then to the lights.

akita91

is it possible that dimmer is gone ?ill take it apart now,other than that i dont see where else it could be as i opened headlight bulbs and cleaned all wires off rust inside it.replaced main switch.Do you know that dimmer part number?
PS. i havent seen headlights circuit breaker relay inside compartment,is there any?

snowtrac nome

most likely is the crappy dimmer switch located in a crappy location, I cant tell you how many times I have seen wrres corroded right out of the end of the plug. they are not weather proof switches or connectors and mounted under your feet where dirt and water always reside.