• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915A1 not fueling properly

91W350

We have a Cummins 400 that starts right up and makes no power. When the pedal is floored, the engine does not respond.

After warming up for 15 to 20 minutes, it will accelerate, but very, very slowly. The truck will run 55, but it takes two or three miles to get there. I drove it about 100 miles last Sunday and it seemed to improve with use, but the next morning, back to just idling.

It is also very slow to decelerate, which is very dangerous. The thing might take a mile to come down from 55. I could always kick it in neutral.

I am hoping there is a sticking governor of some sort, like the Multifuels have, if somebody in the know can steer me in the right direction.

It starts within a few revolutions and goes immediately to a smooth idle, I do not believe it to be drawing any air. Thanks, Glen

cornrichard

There is a governor in the PT pump. It senses boost and will not let the pump push fuel until there is enough pressure. It is called the aneroid. I do not think it would cause the truck to not slow but it could if it was sticking. I think you are looking at a rebuild on the PT. pump.

91W350

If that is the case, we are probably looking at a parts truck. We need some small parts for another 915 and this cab has some rust issues. Thanks, Glen

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Glen, I'm coming out that way in a few weeks, I really need a M915 bumper, tank, and battery box brackets, if you decide to part that truck out.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If that is the case, we are probably looking at a parts truck. We need some small parts for another 915 and this cab has some rust issues. Thanks, Glen
The PT pump costs about $400 to rebuild and an hour to remove. Then you have a $5000 truck again.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Sounds like your sucking AIR, when it heats up the air suck spot closes a bit, hence the build up of rpm, the slow drop in rpm also is a sign that your sucking air, the cummins does not like air/fuel mix BEFORE the cylinders

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine was acting pretty much the same- believe it or not, it was a plastic plug, in the fuel tank, that would block the suction line. At least I think that was it, I saw it in there, pulled it out, and haven't had an issue since.

dezert ratt

my 818 was doing similar things, and got worse over time. spent 2 hours going thru the rubber fuel lines, and found one with a pin hole. amazing how it runs so good now.

rangereter

To test for air in fuel, (slow/sluggish throttle response condition) put a clean fuel line from the PT pump inlet into a clean 5 gal fuel container of fuel, ensure that you have at least 5 gallons return space in tanks, run the engine, and before you run the aux. fuel source empty you have a "snappy" throttle again, then you are pulling air between the pump and your tanks (fuel filters, T connect, tank pickup tubes, etc.)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks