• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915A1 out West

Westech

CPL
Well boys I am trying to pick up a M915 this week. If I win it anyone what to go for a road trip? I do have a couple Questions.

What size are the lug nuts (dont even go there Kenny) I have a bar that is 1.5 inch I think.. its one size too large for the 5 ton.

How do you drive the truck (such as how do you work the trans) the cat trans.
do you just put it in Top gear and slam the gas or do you shift one gear at a time. Do you have to lift the gas a bit if you have to manually shift or just leave it planted.

I know when driving you want to keep the engine ABOVE 1400 RPM due to the 16 speed will slip under 1300 RPM. All the M915's I drove in the Army were the 5 speeds. you just hit top gear and leave your foot planted. Tire smoking and all.

I know I sound like a FNG, but I am to the older A1's

Thanks dudes...

Insert lug nut joke here.....:deadhorse:

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
If you are bob tailing you can start the CAT in 5th gear.....you do have to shift the tranny (it is actually a semi automatic) up one gear at a time.

Once you learn how to slap shift it you can really move on out when loaded.

If the air pressure drops below 80 PSI the tranny will kick into neutral....bad news if you are loaded and going down a big hill.

If you go into a CAT dealer and ask for parts for this tranny they will look at you like you are speaking Chinese. Very few civy applications existed for this tranny.

They are good trannys until da breaks and din you are in da chit.

StreetbikeDepot

1100-1200 RPM is your clutch lockup, I'll have to look one more time but I think there is a sticker on the shifter that says you can take off in 6th up to 75,000 lbs.

I have a friend that works for CAT he was able to look up the transmission in no time flat, had a parts breakdown and was somewhat familiar with it. If I remember right he mentioned another application where the tranny was used but I can't remember off hand what it was.

Driving these trucks is a no brainer, with a little practice they shift really nicely with your thumb and the shifter automatically gates itself 2 gears at a time up into the higher gear ranges then singles out.

My advice is being patient and finding the 16spd truck, don't settle for an A1 with an Allison.

Is there something wrong with the A1's? I am just wanting to haul nothing bigger than say a D4 Cat
and not far at that. Primairilly just want to get one and pair it with one of the M871 trailers for light hauling
and some heavy duty parade use.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks