• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915a1 vs. M352a2 for Hauling logs

Wallee

Been reading up on the forum and have found a wealth of knowledge here! So I figure I would ask you guys professional opinion on the subject at hand. I have looked at 4 well running, in my price range trucks. 3 of which were the m35a2 and one M915a1. The M35's all ran great and would make a great shortwood log truck with the length of the frames. However looking at the m915 with the jake brakes and seemingly smoother ride compared the the m35's I drove, it got me to wondering. Anyone want to throw some pros v. Cons out between the two? Common weight I might would carry would be around the 12ton range. The m915 has a 5th wheel so I could get a log trailer and use it for multi purpose so that is one pro but not necessarily what I was looking to do. Was mostly looking for a shortwood truck in the beginning and mounting my already made 16' log bed onto the frame of a truck. I am also considering adding a knuckleboom loader to either truck to use in the woods so what are your thoughts on this as well?

Is this for on road or off road use? And the M35A2s are able to haul up to 5 tons on hardball. Can they do more, probably. But I think 12 tons is well over what can be safely hauled with these 30+ year old trucks. A 5 ton (M813, M923) can haul up to 10 tons on hardball but I wouldn't even do that in trucks as old as some of these. A 915 would be pretty good on the road but not to sure about off road other than on graded dirt/gravel. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

Wallee

Is this for on road or off road use? And the M35A2s are able to haul up to 5 tons on hardball. Can they do more, probably. But I think 12 tons is well over what can be safely hauled with these 30+ year old trucks. A 5 ton (M813, M923) can haul up to 10 tons on hardball but I wouldn't even do that in trucks as old as some of these. A 915 would be pretty good on the road but not to sure about off road other than on graded dirt/gravel. Just my 2 cents.
I have seen one or two m35's converted like what I'm speaking of and the m915 might be berth suited being that it's primarily hwy use.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I sold my last M915 to a logger that said he was going to make a pull out truck out of it. I told him it didn't have all wheel driver but he said with the inter-axle differential lock it would work fine.

As long as you stay out of gumbo mud that would stick just about anything you would be OK with a trailer. I agree that with the M915 you have the option of pulling several types of trailers.

On using an M35 for a log truck I go with no. It might haul it (I've see pulpwooders overload civy trucks) but it won't like it and you will be a toad in the road.

You also have that single circuit brake system to consider. Being without brakes with a heavy load of wood on could be a life changing (or life ending) experience.

I'd go with a 900 series 5 ton if you want a straight truck. They are cheap now and have air brakes. If you can find an M927 they have the extended double frame and you could mount the loader behind the cab and still have room for the 16 foot bed.

Get hold of CSMdavis near Hattiesberg. He had a bunch of trucks at one time and is a good guy to do business with.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Since your in Mississippi there is a M920 on the Jackson, TN craigslist. Not sure what your price "range" is. There is a Zombie paintball place here in Memphis that is looking to get rid of the 927's and 928's he owns. I think he wants $15k each though. I had a M61 a few years and pulled around a JD120 (29000)excavator on a 25' trailer(10000) and it certainly did not like it very much, especially not on 5 cylinders. I got to a whole 22mph!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJSXyW0EnQ0

900 series trucks wouldn't be too bad of a choice I'd agree. If you need more power throw in a 400 :) or this beast for $6500

Attachments

Wallee

Since your in Mississippi there is a M920 on the Jackson, TN craigslist. Not sure what your price "range" is. There is a Zombie paintball place here in Memphis that is looking to get rid of the 927's and 928's he owns. I think he wants $15k each though. I had a M61 a few years and pulled around a JD120 (29000)excavator on a 25' trailer(10000) and it certainly did not like it very much, especially not on 5 cylinders. I got to a whole 22mph!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RJSXyW0EnQ0

900 series trucks wouldn't be too bad of a choice I'd agree. If you need more power throw in a 400 :) or this beast for $6500
So the m915a1 in your op. would be my best bet? Man that winch truck looks like a beast!

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A deuce won't haul 12 tons. I've seen 9 tons on a deuce once and while it did haul it, it wasn't pretty.

Most loggers around here used to run deuces but they wouldn't hold up very well with big loads over rough logging roads. All that I know of have since switched to M939 5-tons and haven't looked back. A M939 truck will haul big loads of logs and with super singles can go almost anywhere the skidder can go.

Wallee

A deuce won't haul 12 tons. I've seen 9 tons on a deuce once and while it did haul it, it wasn't pretty.

Most loggers around here used to run deuces but they wouldn't hold up very well with big loads over rough logging roads. All that I know of have since switched to M939 5-tons and haven't looked back. A M939 truck will haul big loads of logs and with super singles can go almost anywhere the skidder can go.
I will be on the look out for a m939. A big plus on one of those is it appear to have a long enough frame to bolt my bed right to as well!

Wallee

I haven't seen any 916's for sale but I will keep a lookout for one! The 915 that I drove seemed nice and what I thought to be a good price.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
How do you guys think the m915a1 would be pulling a pulpwood trailer?
Unless you add air conditioning you will roast in the summer in your neck of the woods.

And the spring ride is akin to riding in a goat cart down a railroad track. You will feel every expansion joint on a concrete road.

I have driven a M915 from Fort Benning, GA to the NTC at Fort Irwin, CA and I can tell you that after the second day the thrill was gone.

The ones with the Allison transmission are gearbound to about 67 MPH Unless you turn them up and then you are sucking fuel.

The ones with the CAT tranny will run with the big trucks.

Your mileage may vary.

Wallee

Unless you add air conditioning you will roast in the summer in your neck of the woods.

And the spring ride is akin to riding in a goat cart down a railroad track. You will feel every expansion joint on a concrete road.

I have driven a M915 from Fort Benning, GA to the NTC at Fort Irwin, CA and I can tell you that after the second day the thrill was gone.

The ones with the Allison transmission are gearbound to about 67 MPH Unless you turn them up and then you are sucking fuel.

The ones with the CAT tranny will run with the big trucks.

Your mileage may vary.
Well my current truck that I used all summer is a resto 1966 chevy c60 so its not going to be much worse. Air conditioner? Whats that for pansies? The one I am looking at is the Allison Trans

ThatXJGuy

Well my current truck that I used all summer is a resto 1966 chevy c60 so its not going to be much worse. Air conditioner? Whats that for pansies? The one I am looking at is the Allison Trans
A lot of these guys are stuck on their newer 900 series 5 tons but I tell ya, a good old M-39 series or 800 series 5 ton with get the job done no problem and they come with all the "pansy free" accessories like manual transmissions and other old school simplistic features that get stuff done. Also they can be found much cheaper and are just as capable. Just my 2 cents but you have to understand that i'm for old school all the way when it comes to a work truck. The newer ones have the air ride seats and ABS and CTIS and all that fancy stuff but more stuff to go wrong I say... and as far as speed goes I doubt you really want to be doing 70mph with 12 tons of logs anyway but maybe you are.

Artisan

For the Record...

There is NO SUCH THING as a " 900 " Series Military Vehicle.

There is a " 939 Series " .

( Don't blame me, blame DOGHEAD whom taught me... )

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
For 12 ton or greater loads a M915 series truck ( be it a 915 916 or 920 ) will work better with 400hp and a jake brake. In my humble opinion.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks