• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

m915a1 with airbag rear suspension

StreetbikeDepot

Has anyone ever seen an M915 with airbag rear suspension fitted by the military? I seen one the other day, it looked factory but the entire frame under the truck looked more like a civilian truck (not quite as "military" looking" with air lift points, plate ramps etc.) it wasnt a retrofit either it was an entirely different suspension setup. It still had an NTC400 and an Allison and everything under the hood and in the cab looked normal.

One thing though that stood out.....there where two tanks (one on each side) in front of the forward rear axle that looked like a huge Jerry can with a tube hangin off the bottom nearly dragging the ground. I have no idea what it was and neither did the guy that was with me.

Has anyone ever seen a truck like this before? No I didn't get pics.

StreetbikeDepot

The cans had a cap on the top....I looked inside and it looked like gravel dust in there. The tanks where way out of place looking since they hung down in front of the tire like a mud flap of sorts.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I saw some stripped frames at Camp Shelby that had air ride on both rear axles.

They were being sold as scrap and the guy running the sale said they were some type of prototype that a company had tried to sell to the Military......they appeared to be 5 tons (by the look of the axles).
It could have been something like that.
Just my educated guess.

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Now im thinking they are like sanders for traction like on a locomotive. But thats a out to space BS guess just for the sake of typing. Still curious.

Ive seen air ride on a Freightliner in the Military but I have no idea what the M number was or is if they still have them. I might have a picture.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
GL sold a 915Aa1 out of Vandenburg CA a few months ago with the air ride. Super clean. As much as I love the Hendrickson tandem, my body does not. Air ride would be a dream setup.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone ever seen an M915 with airbag rear suspension fitted by the military? I seen one the other day, it looked factory but the entire frame under the truck looked more like a civilian truck (not quite as "military" looking" with air lift points, plate ramps etc.) it wasnt a retrofit either it was an entirely different suspension setup. It still had an NTC400 and an Allison and everything under the hood and in the cab looked normal.

One thing though that stood out.....there where two tanks (one on each side) in front of the forward rear axle that looked like a huge Jerry can with a tube hangin off the bottom nearly dragging the ground. I have no idea what it was and neither did the guy that was with me.

Has anyone ever seen a truck like this before? No I didn't get pics.
The M915A1 is an Freightliner FLD120 set back FA factory for military Transportation Co look on Freightliner web site and see all what they build for military. These ar built in Portland, Or factory.

Josh

My uncle works at the freightliner plant here. They have parking lots full of 916a1's. Ill drive down there one of these and snap some pictures.

cjtroutt

CW2 26 BDE HHC S6
Steel Soldiers Supporter
My uncle works at the freightliner plant here. They have parking lots full of 916a1's. Ill drive down there one of these and snap some pictures.
Yes thank you there is an M916A1 to A2 A3 6x6 tractor used by engineer
to haul heavy equipment around & dump trucks also some 4 axle configs. Thank you very much on the help to get som current photos.
this helps the general MV people on what is out there in the near future.
I drove some these M915a1 And M916A1 in Iraq pulling Tanker With LP8 Fuel
there were soft shell we started to get UPn armor kits around june 2005 but iwas moved to do Recovery Back with M1070 - M1000 system HETS MIA2 Tank & Stryker retrieval.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks