• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M915A2 M915A3 Freightliner Tractors?

I was just wondering if any of the M915A2 or A3 Freightliner tractors have made it into private hands? I have seen plenty of M916A1 Freightliners on the Auction block, but what about these trucks? Thanks!

Fixlinc

Have seen a few parts trucks on auctions and at gov surplus yards but we haven't found a good complete one yet. Would like to find some to pull our fire department tankers with. We just got a nice M915A1 only had 260 miles on it since the last rebuild but it still has some things needs fixed on it.

Ord22

i've seen the M915A2 and M916A2 on goverment liquidation. sold for alot. looked to be good shape, too. you one once in a while, though.

Stonepicker1

I have 52, M915A3 in my motorpool right now. Most with only 2,000 miles on them and only a few have 5,000 miles. Haven't seen any on GL.

In a few months we will be turning some in for the M915A5.:p

Attachments

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A word on the Freightliners...the m915A2s are the same vintage as the M916A1s. Since there was an AM General M915A1, the first 6x4 tractor Freightliner produced was an M915A2. The M915A3 would be of the same vintage as the M916A2. I have never seen an M916A2 or M915A3 released...only the M916A1s.

NEIOWA

Several M195A3 in DOD surplus system right now. The A3 is a glider rebuild of M915 (not a 195). Any obvious "issues" with the A3?

Last edited:

NEIOWA

Apparently - M915A3. A bunch will be showing up at Camp Dodge that didn't get reutilized by local FD (too many at one time).

Now I see I just missed what I'd been waiting on. M915A2 at Ft McCoy/Sparta. 24ea that roll out of Donation status tonight. Dang. Probably the rumored unissued rebuilds I'd been looking for. Doesn't pay to take eye off DRMS for a month. Should show up in govliq in a month or so.

A bunch more 915A2 coming thru DRMS at Barstow an in Utah. DOD must be getting ride of all then and older 915s.

Last edited:

Stonepicker1

Apparently - M915A3. A bunch will be showing up at Camp Dodge that didn't get reutilized by local FD (too many at one time).

Now I see I just missed what I'd been waiting on. M915A2 at Ft McCoy/Sparta. 24ea that roll out of Donation status tonight. Dang. Probably the rumored unissued rebuilds I'd been looking for. Doesn't pay to take eye off DRMS for a month. Should show up in govliq in a month or so.

A bunch more 915A2 coming thru DRMS at Barstow an in Utah. DOD must be getting ride of all then and older 915s.
Yep, we turned in 13, M915A3 in July (all under 5,000 miles). Picked-up 13, M915A5's. I see a lot of the M915A5's sitting on different bases ready for issues. The new M915A5's are super quiet inside the cab (just like a car)

http://www.steelsoldiers.com/5-ton-up/75514-new-m915a5s.html?highlight=m915a5

Army Ed

FYI The M915A4 were the glider kits and they also as of 2012 have a zero MEL, so those rebuilds should show up within a year at auction places. i persomnally would never want one but i work on em everyday so im bias..lol

The A5's on the other hand are a nice vehicle, well built ride nice sound good. we have one at our shop we use constantly to move tankers flatbeds ect from unit to unit.

NEIOWA

FYI The M915A4 were the glider kits and they also as of 2012 have a zero MEL, so those rebuilds should show up within a year at auction places. i persomnally would never want one but i work on em everyday so im bias..lol

The A5's on the other hand are a nice vehicle, well built ride nice sound good. we have one at our shop we use constantly to move tankers flatbeds ect from unit to unit.
So what's your take or issues?

915A2 - Detroit (electronic) with nonelectronic/non Overdrive Allison vs
M915A4 - Old tech Cummins with modern OD Allison.

Both are hermaphrodites. Have you worked on both?

Over the road I'd think the A2 not great option.

meb831

The Town that I work for has 3 m915a3 tractors an 03,07,08 great trucks low miles with cummins power and the allison world transmissions. The only thing I would like to do is change to 12 volt

Army Ed

The M915A4 has a LOT of issues which is a reason the Army scraped the truck all togther and went with just rebuilding the A3. Sticking the older Cummins into a glider with a brand new allison and bolting on AC DIDNT work at all. My unit alone blew 12+ headgaskets within the first year of unit ownership. The A2 would be a solid truck being at the least they were built as a single platform vehicle and desiegn for their power plant and tranny.

The M915A3 was built with Detroits not Cummings. Your town either has a A2 or A4

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks