• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916 and Allison HT4070

glj

Banned
I have an M916 with the Cat 7155 16 speed. I would love to have the Allison 7 speed 4070 behind the ntc400 engine. Assuming I could acquire a 4070, is it possible to change out the trannys; and approximately (the big things) what modifications would be required? Thanks for any and all help. Gary.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I personally prefer the CAT. What do you hope to accomplish by putting an Allison in it? You will not get anymore top end. I drove an M916 with the CAT in it in the Army and 56-58 MPH is about all you are going to get.
I think the CAT pulls a lot better than the Allison.
The downside it that it is hard to find a CAT dealer that can work on them since they had very few civilian applications.

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mine would run about 70 mph before the 53" tires, now it will do a it +. I believe the cost of the HD 4070 SP would make it cheaper to trade trucks. I'll look tomorrow to see if there is any thing moved (transfer case, etc.)

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was referring to my M916 with a Allison push button 7 speed. The M915A1 with 11.00R24 will exceed 70 mph. Both trucks speeds were gps checked. The M915 with Allison HD 4500 I have not verified with gps but will exceed 80 mph on the speedo on 10.00r20, and it is move'n on

av8or

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Transfer case location is the same, drive shaft from transmission to transfer is shorter. Oil cooler in fender well looks easy, but requires rad. hook up.