• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916A1 flatbed mini-PLS

ReoRider

Howard, really good looking job and it's off to work already!

What did you use (make?) the king pin from? Trying to think how to get around the height issue, and only come up with a recess pocket 5th wheel. I'm still thinking about a ballast box version for bob-tailed off road traction.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What did you use (make?) the king pin from?
Knocked it up from some plate (3/8"?) and pipe scraps then turned the fab in the lathe to smooth off the weld. It doesn't need to be massively strong and no swiveling to contend with.

Trying to think how to get around the height issue, and only come up with a recess pocket 5th wheel. I'm still thinking about a ballast box version for bob-tailed off road traction.
I think you'll be able to do this if you want to stiff leg or crane load - but to winch up there from the ground might be interference issues at the back - just got to clear the rear wheels I guess......

Csm Davis

For a small but effective attachment point in the rear just make some C-clamp type small clamps to grab onto the sides of your ramps from the inside and it will hold it on really good.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
...... some C-clamp type small clamps to grab onto the sides of your ramps from the inside
Hmmm - Thanks big'un, I hadn't considered that. I'll give it a look the next time I slap it up there. Some nice compact heavy bolt clamps would be good...

Csm Davis

Hmmm - Thanks big'un, I hadn't considered that. I'll give it a look the next time I slap it up there. Some nice compact heavy bolt clamps would be good...
Not my original idea but I saw it on one of the tractor fifth wheel lifts and thought it was a great way to hold anything on the rear of a tractor.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk