• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916A1 for Fire Department

Happyland1410

I thought I would share a few pictures of the M916A1 that we are building into a tanker for our volunteer fire department. This is one big truck that makes our M35A3 look small. We will be setting it up to carry 2000 gallons of water. We will use two 4 foot diameter 1000 gallon poly tanks to keep the center of gravity low. I will post more pictures as we make progress on this build.

Attachments

rtk

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice paint job . Are you planning on mounting a portable pump for refilling your tanks ? How will you mount your tanks ? Would it be easier to just get a used tanker for your water source . My brother started his Department with MV's from the government , so I know that it's all hands on deck and what's involved in making a tanker out of a MV! good luck , looks good so far . bob k

Artisan

Sweet! Nice project for the community.

Will it be in the 4th of July Parade?

It gets garaged yes?

Look into the UV stability of the tanks. The sun can kill those things.

If it is garaged all the time you will be OK I think.

Does it carry a ground "pool" / tank ?

Artisan

Look up Clearance lights code, FMSCA I think it is.

I believe I see you need clearance lights ;

A 3 Light ID bar in the rear. (over so many inches wide)
Side clearance lights.
Rear Clearance Lights

Arguable, Amber clearance lights at front of flatbed.

Load in your Reflective triangles (3) of them and have a
licensed Air Brake company sign off on the brakes... :)

Be sure to address reflector demand as well.

It is best to carry two small hydraulic jacks. One to get it
somewhat off the gound and another to lift it the rest of the
way to change a tire. Cheater bars, BUDD Socket and extension
tools are needed as well as a spare.

It's tough building these things to code, ask me how I know!

Happyland1410

Yes, this will be kept inside our station except when on a call. We don't yet have a drop tank. We usually just fill brush trucks or feed an engine when on a scene. We will carry 1-1/2 hose and a nozzle so that we can also fight fire from this truck if needed.

I am working on the additional lighting now. We built a light bar that goes at the back of the tank that has the 3 ID lights as well as emergency lights and LED work lights for the pump area. We also have a light bar for the back of the cab which has 3 ID lights facing the rear and more emergency lights front and back. It is hard to see in these pictures but the cab does have the factory amber clearance lights. We also have the clearance lights and more emergency lights for the sides of the bed. We plan to have this thing lit up like a Christmas Tree ;-) This will also be our truck of choice to block an accident scene on the road.

I will post more pictures as we complete this project.

Look up Clearance lights code, FMSCA I think it is.

I believe I see you need clearance lights ;

A 3 Light ID bar in the rear. (over so many inches wide)
Side clearance lights.
Rear Clearance Lights

Arguable, Amber clearance lights at front of flatbed.

Load in your Reflective triangles (3) of them and have a
licensed Air Brake company sign off on the brakes... :)

Be sure to address reflector demand as well.

It is best to carry two small hydraulic jacks. One to get it
somewhat off the gound and another to lift it the rest of the
way to change a tire. Cheater bars, BUDD Socket and extension
tools are needed as well as a spare.

It's tough building these things to code, ask me how I know!

Happyland1410

Just thought I would share a picture of our M916A1 at work protecting the community. I also included a picture of our M35A3 brush truck and an M978A2 from another department out on the same fire. You could see the relief on the faces of the elderly couple worried about the large grass fire approaching their house when we pulled on scene near their house with these beasts. We had 5 departments helping on this fire and no structures were lost so it was a good day.

hvfd_1470.jpghvfd_1452.jpg

Bowmanvolfire

Happyland1410: I would appreciate an update on this post. How is the truck working out these days? Any issues? Also, did your department sell the winch that came with it? Just curious what the market is for a 20 ton winch!

Thanks.

John
Bowman VFD

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks