• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916a1 question ??

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
I just bought a m916a1 today.Dam what a sweet and powerful truck.Are these trucks all 24 volt or is just the starter and charging system 24 volt.I want to run some 12 volt accessories.

ReoRider

You have it right- rest of the system is 12 volt (except for the marker lights). Handy accessory is the solar panel kit with the dual 12/24 power terminals available on the site. Installed one inside cab and have lots of feeds available.
Been running M916A1 this summer to shows with 74,000 GCW and it is amazing- real power from the Detroit 60.

You will enjoy it!

jcappeljr

Supporting Vendor
Thanks.I was wanting to pull a 10 ton electric brake trailer once in a while.Thanks.They are great trucks,alot more power than the m939 trucks.The Detroit series 60 is a good engine..

ReoRider

With a tag-a-long you might not notice it is there! Been pulling a M172A1 and have learned a little about this model Allison-it appears to be set up to work with full throttle up to your target speed (when loaded). Smoothest shifts work out this way- not with the throttle feathering you might find yourself doing on lighter models.

The unloaded ride is so good that I took it bob-tailed a couple of times.

Last edited:

quickfarms

With a tag-a-long you might not notice it is there! Been pulling a M172A1 and have learned a little about this model Allison-it appears to be set up to work with full throttle up to your target speed (when loaded). Smoothest shifts work out this way- not with the throttle feathering you might find yourself doing on lighter models.

The unloaded ride is so good that I took it bob-tailed a couple of times.
The big Allison's behave the best when you bring the RPM's up to about 200 below governed and just hold it there.

Feathering the throttle causes short shifting.

If you are running heavy downshift the selector when you see the hill and the transmission will not downshift until the second, or very quickly thereafter, the engine RPM's will be below the governed in the next lower gear.

ReoRider

Agree completely with the shifting drill for the Allison - thanks for the tip on preselecting the drop down gear prior to the meat of the hill. After years of a hill in the 5 ton meaning 5th down to 2nd in the main, finishing off in xfer low range 2nd, then climbing back up the ladder to top. Not a complaint-great fun and builds character- but now accelerating UP hill with the Detroit is an unexpected treat.

ReoRider

In the 915/916 series it is set for 400 horsepower at 2100 rpm, with 1400 ft. lbs. torque at 1200rpm. Civilian applications often go up from these figures.