• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M916A3 CTIS Kills Motor

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
You should not plug it in while the key is on or its running. Could short it out. It killing it when you plug it in while running may be its failsafe protection.

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Iannamanda

Im Ian, and I am also on Bowman VFD, and currently working on the A3.

Thank you simp5782 noted and that was neglect on my part.

We drove it home without the CTIS hooked up. Drove like a champ, looks good, small things to do and its pretty solid tractor. Except for the CTIS its a little funky. Had it warming up after work and had to turn it off being pretty loud "rattling the house".
I turn the truck off key off battery disconnected, hooked up the CTIS ECU. battery on key on and I have a:
Low air light on the dash
REDUCE MPH light on
4 lights on the CTIS controller
and the Allison control panel has -- and someother funky stuff. Hit the start and nothing it cranks but will not run The Allison control panel display went out. mode turned on, and buzzer going for low air. I just had it running for 20mins air was built up and had cycled the brakes and built air back up. Messed around with it a few more mins and still would not run. Key off battery disco and unhook the CTIS and starts without a issue.

I have read through the dana manual, fld120 manual, and TMs that I have found. The j1939 runs the comms from the CTIS to the truck tranny etc. If i remember right if the resistance is off on the canbus it can kill it and cause it not to run correctly. I think the CTIS ECU is bad but the Dana manual says it is very unlikely. I will try to get the readings tonight with and without the CTIS hooked up. Anyone seen anything like this with a newer tractor? Any ideas?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Im Ian, and I am also on Bowman VFD, and currently working on the A3.

Thank you simp5782 noted and that was neglect on my part.

We drove it home without the CTIS hooked up. Drove like a champ, looks good, small things to do and its pretty solid tractor. Except for the CTIS its a little funky. Had it warming up after work and had to turn it off being pretty loud "rattling the house".
I turn the truck off key off battery disconnected, hooked up the CTIS ECU. battery on key on and I have a:
Low air light on the dash
REDUCE MPH light on
4 lights on the CTIS controller
and the Allison control panel has -- and someother funky stuff. Hit the start and nothing it cranks but will not run The Allison control panel display went out. mode turned on, and buzzer going for low air. I just had it running for 20mins air was built up and had cycled the brakes and built air back up. Messed around with it a few more mins and still would not run. Key off battery disco and unhook the CTIS and starts without a issue.

I have read through the dana manual, fld120 manual, and TMs that I have found. The j1939 runs the comms from the CTIS to the truck tranny etc. If i remember right if the resistance is off on the canbus it can kill it and cause it not to run correctly. I think the CTIS ECU is bad but the Dana manual says it is very unlikely. I will try to get the readings tonight with and without the CTIS hooked up. Anyone seen anything like this with a newer tractor? Any ideas?
They go bad all the time. Key on. Ctis hooked up. Truck off. Push and hold runflat for 10 seconds see if anything flashes. Usually it flashes all lights for a dead box.

Is this the truck yall swapped the 315 80 22.5s for 395/85/20 super singles? If so when ctis wheel valves did you use?

Iannamanda

I will get on that as soon as I get home, Dose it need to have air in the tanks?

As far as the tire swap we have talked about it, but with this one might stay with the duels being our OTR style truck. With that being said it could be cheaper for use to get supers at surplus and swap it out.

Do you happen to know if these truck are bound by gearing or a true governor?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I will get on that as soon as I get home, Dose it need to have air in the tanks?

As far as the tire swap we have talked about it, but with this one might stay with the duels being our OTR style truck. With that being said it could be cheaper for use to get supers at surplus and swap it out.

Do you happen to know if these truck are bound by gearing or a true governor?
Gearing. They are pretty weak honestly. The allison hurts that 60 series by keeping it high in the rpms. A 9 or 13spd would let her cruise.

Tanks at full pressure

Iannamanda

The lights on the ctis just flasj even when i press the emergency button you can hear it try to act but nothing. The truck still wont start on trans controller goes nuts. Ill post picture of it later.

Any info on the pto? Its engaged and will not disengage. Switch tested good. Is there a relay or something it it goes too before the actuator?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks