• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M917 won't engine won't crank

crownfire

My 917 which was starting and running fine a few days ago will not crank over. I have at least 24 volts at the starter and it appears to try to crank the engine over but I can barely see any movement at the crank. Any ideas? Is there an easy way to bar the engine over manually to rule out a hydrostatic lock? If it is a hydrostatic lock, how is it relieved besides removing the injectors which seems to be a complicated process. Thanks

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
24 at the starter, what amps at the starter, do you have HOT batteries

Tow4

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Check the battery voltage while the starter is engaged. It should not be less than 18 -20 volts. Check each individual battery to see if you have more than 12 volts.

I had sudden battery death in my M818; meaning I shut it off and 2 minutes later it would not start. I checked the individual battery voltages and all were good. After checking connections and not finding a problem I checked the volt meter in the dash while trying to start and it was reading very low. A couple of days later when I got back to it, 2 of the batteries were reading in the 8 volt range. I replaced the 4 batteries with 2 group 31 and it fired right up.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Do you have a buddy with a 24 volt vehicle and a set of slave cables?

If not you can take two high CCA batterys and configure them to 24 volts......use a set of heavy jumper cables (welding grade wire at a minimum) and try to jump it.

If it cranks you prob have a battery issue....if it don't you prob have a starter issue or some other electrical grimlin.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does the starter run but not engage? Does the starter engage but bog down? does the starter engage and sound like it's cranking the engine, but nothing on the belt end moves?

Removing the injectors or waiting forever for the fuel to leak down into the sump are the only two ways of clearing a hydrolock. When you went to crank it, did it spin then stop suddenly? or would it just not turn? I doubt it is hydrolock if you didn't get any rotation the first time you tried to start it. I'm pretty sure you can get a socket on the lower pully and bar it over to be sure.

4 fresh hot batteries. Still won't start? check all your connections

Starter seems to be cranking the engine but nothing on the one end moves? that would indicate a broken crankshaft. Again they normally don't fail just sitting around, and you know it when they crack.

The insulation in the windings of the starter could be failing, drawing and excessive amount of current. Do you have a clamp on ampmeter?

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't know if your problem is the same as mine but I fuel locked my Cummins up the outher day and could not even bar the motor over. I took off the rocker box covers and let the pressure out by holding open the exhaust valves by hand.s

crownfire

I had originally drained the batteries by leaving a snow plow lift control in the wrong position that put a slow draw on the batteries over a few days that I didn't use the truck. I have charged the batteries with a 24 v charger hooked to the same battery posts the slave cables connect to. The engine sounded like it was going to crank for a split second after I had charged the batteries but then it quit turning. I don't think the engine made a complete revolution. Since then I have charged more but it sounds like the most its doing is engaging the starter drive and cranking enough to barely see the fan belts move. I have checked the voltage at the starter while the starter is engaged and its only dropping to about 23v. I have not had any starter or starting problems in the past. I'll try to bar it over tommorow and see if it moves. I have also had a set of 2 gauge jumper cables attached direct to the starter motor with the same results. Thanks for the advice.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
could be a no load battery, will take a charge but not handle a load