• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M920 Wet kit

mscholt1

Could you hook up a wet kit lines to run a dump trailer on a M920? If you could can you move forward with the transmission and have the pto engaged? Thanks in advance to anyone that can give me any advice

reb87

yes and yes but when using the hydraulics and in gear you will have to be moving as the pto will not be turning under load unless you rev it up. Thats the way my m919 with the dump box works anyway. My 920 has outlets for aux hyd power but the control is behind the cab

mscholt1

Thanks for the help and is the pump on your M919 the same as the pump on a M920? Im looking to set up a manure tanker for our dairy farm and wondering if this semi would be a good choice to do the job and be able to run a hydralic motor on the back of the trailer for pumping?

reb87

the m919 has the same pto as my m920/916 but i am driving a enclosed grain truck hyd pump with a pto drive shaft. The m920/m916 has a married pump and I think it is probably big enough to drive anything you want. Ill try and get some info off of the pump so you can spec it out...If you dont need the m920 tag axle you should get a m916 with a little less wheelbase.

mscholt1

Thanks, and if you could get those specs id greatly appricate it. With your M920 and 916 what did you end up doing for the king pin? Does that adapter work good or would you suggest getting a different 5th wheel

reb87

I think the adapter is going to work ok, I havent used it yet, spent today getting 395/85r20 tires on the m915a1 and getting 16/r20s on the two big trucks. I wont be using the adapter for a week or so... Ill try and get some numbers tomorrow....

M920

Thanks, and if you could get those specs id greatly appricate it. With your M920 and 916 what did you end up doing for the king pin? Does that adapter work good or would you suggest getting a different 5th wheel

The 5th wheel on the M916 / m920 is made by Holland. If you like the fact that it oscillates and do not want to get a whole new 5th wheel, you can change out the top plate only. That's what I did on my M920A1, I bought a 2"kingpin top plate from Holland. You pull 2 pins and it is only about a 10 min switch if you have any means of lifting the plate on and off the truck. I can supply the part number for the 2" 5th top plate from Holland that fits on the M920s 3.5" 5th wheel base, if anybody is interested....

Soni

oldMan99

Did we get that part number? Approximate cost?

If you make the change Of course that eliminates the ability to haul a trailer with the 3 1/2 king pin.

I know most (All?) civilian trailers use the 2". What military trailers use the 3 1/2?

gpp111

I just purchased an M920, would like to replace the 5th wheel top plate so I an pull trailers with non military king pins. Could you please give me the Holland part number for this. Thanks!

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I just purchased an M920, would like to replace the 5th wheel top plate so I an pull trailers with non military king pins. Could you please give me the Holland part number for this.
Be aware of the height difference on the M920/M916 verses an M915 or civy tractor. You will have to have spacers on the bottom of the landing gear to raise the trailer high enough for the ramps on the frame to get under it........otherwise you can end up damaging the nose of the trailer.

You may also have issues with some of the older trailers as far as the location of the king pin. In some cases you can get under the trailer OK but not be able to make turns without getting into the landing gear. That is why later M915's have the sliding 5th wheel.

flashgordon

I just bought a Fontaine Top Plate for a peterbilt. A "6000" Series I believe. It was $1265 plus $200 shipped. But its lightweight, 200 lbs or so..... 2 Guys can pick it up and install.

Also... most of our hydro pumps are 27 Gal per minute. Some trailers or attachments (i.e. zachlift wrecker) will be more like 9 Gal per minute. Be careful because you will damage check valve and lines if you overburden the system. They do sell a metering block...... for like a Couple hundred bucks, that you can adjust to send say 18 gal. per minute back to the hydro tank before entering system. Its adjusted by a allen head. Good Luck

rorybellows

Be aware of the height difference on the M920/M916 verses an M915 or civy tractor. You will have to have spacers on the bottom of the landing gear to raise the trailer high enough for the ramps on the frame to get under it........otherwise you can end up damaging the nose of the trailer.

You may also have issues with some of the older trailers as far as the location of the king pin. In some cases you can get under the trailer OK but not be able to make turns without getting into the landing gear. That is why later M915's have the sliding 5th wheel.
aint that what the winches are for? a little time consuming, but itll get the job done. (if you can find something suitable to hook to, of course)

or switch to bags in the back.

NSCoyote

The 5th wheel on the M916 / m920 is made by Holland. If you like the fact that it oscillates and do not want to get a whole new 5th wheel, you can change out the top plate only. That's what I did on my M920A1, I bought a 2"kingpin top plate from Holland. You pull 2 pins and it is only about a 10 min switch if you have any means of lifting the plate on and off the truck. I can supply the part number for the 2" 5th top plate from Holland that fits on the M920s 3.5" 5th wheel base, if anybody is interested....

Soni
did the part number get released yet by chance?

Actually you can just rebuild the jaws and replace them with 2" and keep the top plate. You would be able to swap the 3.5" back in if ever needed. I got a FW35 (off the top of my head, was a few years ago) military surplus Holland 2" fifth wheel and slider setup and thought I might be able to put the 3.5 in but alas 3.5 not available for whatever model it was. All the 3.5's that I saw in the catalog when ordering a rebuild kit could take a 2" jaw and were completely interchangeable in the field, just different kit numbers. (I wanted to be prepared if I lucked into one of those monster trailers some day! )

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks