• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 ? About converting it to a M923A1.

I just won a real nice M923 and would like to put the 14.00 R20 tires on it. My ? is can a 14.00R20 fit in the stock spare tire carrier if not will the A1 tire carrier bolt right in. Thanks

Last edited:

sandcobra164

Neither will work. If you read the TM, you'll notice that the A1 and A2 trucks are slightly longer. The reason is the bed had to be moved back to make room for the wider spare tire carrier that is associated with trucks on 14.00's. They also run a longer threaded rod to secure the spare tire in place in the bracket. For it to work on your truck you'll need to move the bed back and get a spare tire carrier from an A1 or A2 truck and they you'll be good to go.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not true sandcobra. I have a 923 that I changed to an A1 sans moving the bed. I put a spare tire carrier from an A2 on it with very little modification and the 14.00 R20 Goodyear fits quite nicely. The A2 carrier bolted right in and I moved the intake stack forward a little to gain more entry space. I tried to start a thread on this yesterday but can't figure out how to post pictures from Photobucket.

HMMWV Nut

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When changing to a larger tire size did you have any issues with clearance for the mud flaps . I'm converting my M923 to run on 14.00 R20 and am having the same questions. Also heard you have to get longer wheel studs to handle the super single wheels. Didn't know if that's an issue to factor in :?:
Not true sandcobra. I have a 923 that I changed to an A1 sans moving the bed. I put a spare tire carrier from an A2 on it with very little modification and the 14.00 R20 Goodyear fits quite nicely. The A2 carrier bolted right in and I moved the intake stack forward a little to gain more entry space. I tried to start a thread on this yesterday but can't figure out how to post pictures from Photobucket.

tobyS

The 923 with 11.00 is a 923 basic and the 14.00 is an A1 or A2. I'll confirm tomorrow if it will fit as I have a basic apart at the spare, making a locking fuel door.

Andy, can you put them on the desktop and then bring them to the thread under " go advanced". I admit I have problems too (but am getting better). Hey Andy, have you seen the sand color trucks with the entire bottoms (tanks, frame, rims) flat black (or did you post the picture w 14's and black)? They really look sharp in my opinion and have me looking at the sand color ones now. That's a nice looking truck you have...clean.

wsucougarx

I converted my M923 dually to a M923A1 with Goodyear MV/T 395's. No issues with mudflaps. I've got two spares in the bed. You can put a super single in the 11.00 spare tire rack but you can either move the bed rearward -or- you can move the air filter snorkel forward. I've seen a 16.00 tire in that cramped 11.00 spare tire rack. All the guy did was move the snorkel forward. The only drawback is he cannot use his grab handle...no biggie!

Last edited:

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
When changing to a larger tire size did you have any issues with clearance for the mud flaps . I'm converting my M923 to run on 14.00 R20 and am having the same questions. Also heard you have to get longer wheel studs to handle the super single wheels. Didn't know if that's an issue to factor in :?:
Wheel studs were fine. I also spaced my mud flap brackets forward around 1 1/2" where they bolt to the bed for extra clearance.

Andyrv6av8r

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I converted my M923 dually to a M923A1 with Goodyear MV/T 395's. No issues with mudflaps. I've got two spares in the bed. You can put a super single in the 11.00 spare tire rack but you can either move the bed rearward -or- you can move the air filter snorkel forward. I've seen a 16.00 tire in that cramped 11.00 spare tire rack. All the guy did was move the snorkel forward. The only drawback is he cannot use his grab handle...no biggie!
I cut and modified my grab handle for that very reason. I also installed the A2 boom since it was taller and stronger.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
If you find a pic of the m939 mobile shop. The one with lathe and other machining tools where the sides open like wings. The spare tire on that is mounted where the passenger side large toolbox goes under the bed corner kinda like the spare on an m35a3. Personally I like that spot. I would rather have the spare there, the bed all the way back a few inches from the cab, and some type of truck toolbox installed at the forward end of the bed that could double as a seat.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks