• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 Bob

hawaii5ton

I purchased my springs off e-bay from A&A Truck Parts Online store.
The bed measures 11ft 9in now, 58inches of frame was removed.
I chose these numbers so rear overhang is exactly the same as stock from center of rear tire to end of the tailgate with the bed 2inches from cab.

hawaii5ton

Also by removing the center of the bed you can leave the higher cross beams over the tire, and the factory rear mudflap in place.
By shortening it this way the hinges for the bed sides look evenly spaced also.
A lot of thought went into this, and I think it turned out better than if I would have just made the bed ten or twelve feet.

madcroc1

Yes i think you're thinking is very much exact on because of the proportionality that you have. The look of the truck excellent. Do you mind telling me how much you paid for the springs ? I ask because I noticed on govliquidation there are a lot of 5-ton trucks going for under $1000 in Hawaii that sold yesterday

Last edited:

hawaii5ton

I know I bought an M925 in yesterdays auction. Shipping to neighboring island will cost me more than the truck!
Shipping to mainland California is almost $10,000, I just shipped a truck here that was $13,000 from Oakland California.
Springs with all brackets bolts and shocks cost $450.00.

chux72vette

We also bought one and drove it back from Mechanicsburg GL and felt great running 70 mph. I can only imagine shedding those few extra pounds (lol) how she would run. How is the handling now as ours drives great like it is but we're considering bobbing it? Thanx

hawaii5ton

It definitely has a tighter turn radius, and a little more pep but top speed is the same.
I plan on driving it onto a scale soon to see what she weighs in at.
Would bob another one, I love it, and it fits in a single parking stall so anywhere I can go with my crewcab pickup I can take her.

tobyS

You have the proportions just right and didn't have to do drive-shaft work. Nice job in planning. On the top, it would be nice to have a rain gutter to drain away water from the hinge. That seems to be a place water gets in on a lot of trucks and rusts out the window frame or interior. Your rivets look nice and are hardly noticeable. A small Z or slightly larger for sunshade might be an option. Good Job and thanks for posting pictures, but I fear you have made it look toooo easy.

KaiserM109

INSPIRING!! You do nice work and all of your forethought shows.

I have an M109A2 (my current avatar) and am planning a trip to Texas to bring back an M923A1. My plans are to bob the M923 and move the box from the M109 to it. Your photos answered several of my questions such as how to handle the exhaust and bed length.

THANKS for sharing your work and results with us.

Last edited:

KaiserM109

In the middle of a downpour (probably nothing like you have in HI) I measured the length of my box. It is 12' 6" long, 9" longer than your shortened bed. Looks doable.

I was thinking about changing my 11.00 R20s to 14s, but now I think not. The 14s are on bead-lock rims and can't be dueled up. Since I am going to a single rear axle, I think I want to keep it a duelie. Besides, my deuce is already 11 ft. tall and I believe the M923 bed is 4" higher than the deuce. Adding a bigger tire will just compound things.

Did you look at getting rear springs off of a junk civilian truck? That is what I was thinking about.

Thanks again for posting pictures and describing your work.

tobyS

Keiser M109, you have an easier problem than I do. I want to keep 11.00 duals and have the front tires that are the same diameter. That means in 20" one needs either 14.50 or 365/80. Both are metric and take the A3 wheel. My problem is that I have a 925 with the ten lug x 11.25, not the deuce 6 lug pattern. So you just need (front) A3 rims and the 14.5 or 365/80 and your set. My alternative is to recenter and drill or go to a 22.5 rim...not near as simple. Please post pictures of a bob with 11.00's if you do it. Good luck.

ecotrek

Great job on the BOB!!
The proportions look perfect.
I am in the planning stages of buying a M923A2 for bobbing.
What kind of springs did you use for the rear axle?

That thing looks clean. I have a m925 on the Puna side and after seeing this I am considering doing a bob on it, and dropping a 6 yd dump on it to use for our ranch. I was trying to see how I could make it work with the dual rears, but now this would make more sense.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks