• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 cold start

maxxplanck

I'v been doing some searching but lots to go through and not much luck. I have a M923, I'v only owned it since April. About two months ago my 10 year old batteries died so today I replaced the batteries. I cant get it to turn over. I 'v even slaved off my deuce so I don't drain the batteries. Tryed for 30 minutes, at first there was some smoke but then nothing. Fuel was treated two months ago for cold weather. Any ideas ???

rrrr

The NHC 250 does not like cold weather. Do you have the ether start system ? I installed a block heater for this exact reason. I started my truck with it being 30F outside. I had it plugged in for about 2 hours and it cranked over and started like a warm summer day. The batteries you replaced, do they have the cold cranking amps necessary to start. 4 6TL batteries have a combined crank of about 3600 amps. If your trying with less amps you'll also have issues, even when slave starting. I also replaced my batteries for this reason.

wsucougarx

Is your fuel shut off valve lever pointed towards the front of your truck?
Your fuel solenoid could be bad. Fuel filter plugged?

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has it lost it's prime? The rubber fuel line on these is prone to dry-rot, just like the 809 series did.

Or, if it is loosing prime, your primer pump could have a stuck check ball or needle. Does it prime right?

Last edited:

doolest

We tried to fire out m923 up Friday morning when it was about 27 degrees...would not fire up...waited a few hours when it was up to about 40 degrees tried it again...fired right up

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
Well thanks for the link but i have a cta 8.3 cummins in my m923. Anything out there for it?
The 8.3 Cummins has an electric fuel solonoid that de-energizes and if it does the truck will not start. Said invention of the devil is on top of the injector pump and has a silver teat sticking out of it. To reset it rotate the lever until it pushes the teat back up into the housing. You will have to have "Soldier B" hold it until the truck starts and re-energizes it or you will have to zip tie it until you crank it. Cut the zip tie off immediatly since the truck will not shut off until you do. You may also have to pump the primer pump located on the block behind the injector pump to get fuel back into the IP.

My 8.3 seems to be cold natured too.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No George, I did not get any of them out of Drum(last round).

diesel dave

Starting diesels in cold weather can be problematic. Reasons are too lengthy to discuss here-fuel viscosity,type of injection system,ect,ect. Even identical engines can start differently. Cummins engines were never know too be easy starters in cold weather. With that said,I currently own and operate 12 commercial and military trucks,5 of which are cummins powered,the remainder a mix of cat,Mack,and Detroit. I have a commercial 8.3,and it starts fine down to 0. Have a 813 with an 855 that starts on its own at 15 degrees. I also had an 818 that would not start below 35 degrees-probably a weak injection pump. Bottom line,a block heater is the cheapest place to start. If that doesn't solve the starting issues,seek out a professional heavy truck mechanic as there can be many reasons a diesel starts hard.

Actually your wrong on the numbers to be correct the 6TL has 725 ca so it would be 2900 ca total to help everyone out! I know because I read the label and changed out 4 for 2 12v batteries instead!

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually your wrong on the numbers to be correct the 6TL has 725 ca so it would be 2900 ca total to help everyone out! I know because I read the label and changed out 4 for 2 12v batteries instead!
Not quite....

The stock arrangement of 4 batteries is series/parallel. This gives you double the voltage, and also double the amperage... not x4.

74M35A2

Maxx,

I'm in Livonia with my M925a2. I can stop by after I am back from Japan this weekend and we can get it fired up quickly. I know the 8.3's pretty good now. They are a stout engine, but the low pressure fuel delivery systems are very weak on them. Age them 25 years and they become even weaker. Good points mentioned here, and some not yet, but we can blast through it all quickly and should have it running in less than an hour.

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maxx,

I'm in Livonia with my M925a2. I can stop by after I am back from Japan this weekend and we can get it fired up quickly. I know the 8.3's pretty good now. They are a stout engine, but the low pressure fuel delivery systems are very weak on them. Age them 25 years and they become even weaker. Good points mentioned here, and some not yet, but we can blast through it all quickly and should have it running in less than an hour.

If he hasn't figured it out in 4 years, he probably wont....

:)

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks