• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 finally made it home....

Lee L

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It took almost a month, but the "new" M923 is home from Hooks. All in all, it looks like we did good on this one. Tires are brand new, all the fluids look fresh. Will run it a little and change all the fluids and filters. A little rough on the outside, but nothing that a little TLC and paint won't fix. Found a nice wooden crate in the bed with a brand new cargo cover and bows in it....all I need now are some troop seats.

The batteries looked new, but wouldn't charge, date code showed they were made in 2008. Installed two Optima batteries and she fired up in less than a second on the first crank...and it was 41 degrees here this morning. Oil pressure came right up, but no air pressure.

Crawled under the truck and found the dreaded "GL forklift damage": right angle outlet fitting from the ABS air dryer was broken off where the plastic line goes to the wet tank. Will get the parts to fix that and go from there.

Here are some pictures of the unloading process, made my wife nervous, to say the least :mrgreen:

Attachments

plumkrazy

Good catch Lee. I'm waiting on my 1984 M923 on the west coast that I should be driving back here to Abilene between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
SS is a great site for the dreaded OD Illness that never stops at just ONE.:)

Best Regards--Allen

spartan_185

I know the feeling with the forklift damage. We just brought back 3 M923s from hooks. All of them have the same damage that you described, Plus one had a bent fuel tank bracket. Its the DRMO forklift operators that are usually to blame. They don't believe in careful handling. I'm just glad they don't handle bombs and munitions for the government like I do.

Lee L

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know the feeling with the forklift damage. We just brought back 3 M923s from hooks. All of them have the same damage that you described, Plus one had a bent fuel tank bracket. Its the DRMO forklift operators that are usually to blame. They don't believe in careful handling. I'm just glad they don't handle bombs and munitions for the government like I do.
This one has the back fuel tank bracket bent too. Going to have to drain the tank and pull it to see what it will take to straighten it.

Very nice truck , that must have been the one listed as having an air leak . I wonder how they knew :p
Actually it wasn't. This one didn't say anything about condition, all we had to go on we're pictures. The price was right so we took a chance and went for it. :)

Lee L

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good catch Lee. I'm waiting on my 1984 M923 on the west coast that I should be driving back here to Abilene between Thanksgiving and Christmas.
SS is a great site for the dreaded OD Illness that never stops at just ONE.:)

Best Regards--Allen
Sounds like a heck of a road trip! Hope it all goes smoothly!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks