• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 flat towing practice

Ue413

Was practicing towing m923 with other m923....medium tow bar and 1" feet. Everything was fine.....since I was only pulling in a field, you'll notice no safety chains or air supply. Everything in neutral (tranny and transfer case).

a couple questions from those that have done this before:

1. I had the drawbar fully collapsed.... Is that how you normally pull with it?

2. I've read a variety of explanations regarding pulling driveshaft... What do those that pull do?

3. How long will batteries run hazards?

image.jpg

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I always have mine fully collapsed.
I pull with rear truck in neutral and neutral
Not sure how long hazards will last I guess it depends on how good your batteries are.
I have pulled from Indy to Dayton Ohio and back with hazards on and the truck started right up when I returned home.

Attachments

Last edited:

98G

Former SSG
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't pull driveshaft.

Transmission in neutral, transfer in neutral, service and emergency air supplied. No cage bolts in place.

Rear truck park lights on. Flashers at night. Note that you'll have brake lights.

2 group 31 batteries powered park lights and flashers for about 12 hours.

The above is what I do. YMMV.

Trailboss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The towbar is strongest when it is fully retracted as you have it.

I've only pulled the driveshaft once when the parking brake on the towed vehicle would not release. If I was towing more than a couple of hundred miles, I would consider pulling the driveshaft.

You (and other travelers) are much safer using both air lines to help stop than caging the brakes. If you have to cage more than 1 or 2 wheels, I would not tow more than a short distance on the road, and at a very slow speed.

I always use some kind of towing lights, either the expensive military ones or homemade LED taillights.

MtnSnow

You (and other travelers) are much safer using both air lines to help stop than caging the brakes. If you have to cage more than 1 or 2 wheels, I would not tow more than a short distance on the road, and at a very slow speed.
I fully concur with that statement!

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As said Med. tow bar kept short is all you need. Correct size and grade 43 or better on the chains and make sure they are safety hooks that can not come undone if the crap hits the fan. Keep them as short as possible and not twisted around the tow bar or twisted. I my self would put the combo in a tight 90% turn left and right and cross / tighten them up. Hook up the air line so you have the tow aired up to release the brakes and have service brakes. We have talked about caging all the brakes if the truck was not in good service order. You do not want the parking brakes locking up while on the tow. If the pancakes or the parking brake line blows out you will not see it on your gages for a good while and you have to drive with you eyes on the air gage. They are better spent looking down the road. Make sure you do have 4 3/4" keyed caging bolts with you before you leave and make sure you have the bolts for your truck too. You will need to test the service brakes and if you are not a Tractor and have the trolly leaver just before you leave and after you have aired up the tow and released the parking brakes remove the emergency line from the tow and hook it into the service line of the tow. Open the valve and try and tow. With tow parking brakes released the tow should still be locked up as you have in effect put on the brakes on the tow. If she seems to be holding good then switch back the service and emergency lines and run.
Read what the big boys fear most in this thread and why they cage the brakes. Yes you can tow without them caged if you are sure the system is good and all the pancakes are good. People tow the Deuces all the time and there are no spring parking brakes and most of the time no service line as the Deuce has no front connection. Not good but they do.
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...-bolts-to-me&p=1722778&highlight=#post1722778

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Why use flashers, what SHOULD be used is TOW LIGHTS, this way the people BEHIND the towed vehicle KNOWS what is going on, flashers are like magnets , draws drivers to them, but does NOT tell the following drivers anything.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is this the correct way to find out the kinetic energy that we really have to deal with. Think some forget about this and just say my truck says my pintle can pull that no problem or data plate says it can carry this much. You need service brakes on the tow working but figure they will give out and the towing truck has to take all the weight on a quick stop. What would the kinetic energy be on a 7 ton truck tow at 45 mph? https://www.easycalculation.com/physics/classical-physics/kinetic-energy.php

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Is this the correct way to find out the kinetic energy that we really have to deal with. Think some forget about this and just say my truck says my pintle can pull that no problem or data plate says it can carry this much. You need service brakes on the tow working but figure they will give out and the towing truck has to take all the weight on a quick stop. What would the kinetic energy be on a 7 ton truck tow at 45 mph? https://www.easycalculation.com/physics/classical-physics/kinetic-energy.php
Yes, what James says is a real butt clincher the first time this situation arises, EVEN if it is planed as a test, on SLICK roads, the towed truck WILL push the towing truck where ever it wants to.

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Now I have poured over the FED DOT rules and it says nothing about the towed truck having a brake away system that will put on the parking brake if it becomes uncoupled, only trailers. Yes it would be nice if they were not caged and if a brake away happened they would come on. I will say I found some states like AZ. that the tow truck must have filed with the state that they are towing and some states say if you tow by chain / on the hook or by tow bar you are a tow truck and must have the proper insurance to do so. Every state could add to the Fed DOT but not take away from there rules. Here is some states chain laws. http://www.expediter.com/natm pdf folder/B folder/B3 6-State Safety Chain Laws-Table.pdf

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks