• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 fuel problem

162tcat

The injectors are not computer fired. It's a completely mechanical diesel engine, very old technology. Make less assumptions and listen to others, you'll learn lots and have fun.

Over

The injectors are not computer fired. It's a completely mechanical diesel engine, very old technology. Make less assumptions and listen to others, you'll learn lots and have fun.
Where is the Injector pump. Looking at the High Pressure pump it didn't look like an injection pump. I was told that the mechanic for this truck said it was electronically fired via computer in a black box on the firewall. I know on the Turboed M923A2 I can recognize a IP right away but on this M923 NHC250 I don't see one.

Added:I guess what threw me was not seeing 6 lines coming off that pump. But I found it is called "(5T-505) Cummins fuel injection pump". I can't find a schematic but if there are no individual lines (that I can see) how is the pump feeding the injectors if it is a mechanical system? I hope it's a mechanical system as most of my diesels whether generators or 300SD Mercedes are. I really don't like the idea that my 95 3/4 Burb Diesel is fly by wire without even a mechanical linkage to the pump, just a computer telling it how much.

Last edited:

162tcat

Also, I wouldn't go back to that mechanic. He obviously isn't a diesel mechanic, between the TMs and reading through the info on here you should be able to learn how to fix any issues. Google "Cummins PT pump" to learn about your injection system.

Over

Appreciate that! Now it makes sense. I have the TM, all 2" of it. Something to read when I get that undisturbed quite time. Had a basket 1965 Panhead in 70 that went together courtesy of reading the Haynes and Chilton manual. I'm sure the TM is more informative for the M923.

redneck20

It's all mechanical , it has a single line from the pump that goes into the front of the block the it jumps from head to head via little u lines between the heads.

South

I have a m923a1 that when first started will fire up then die. I have replaced fuel lines and still have the same problem it still loses prime and even when do get running when you accelerate it goes up slow and doesnt decelerate very quickly. I also changed the fuel filter and the primer handle o-rings. I did notice that even with new o-ring for primer it will still not prime from manual priming pump. Need some suggestions