• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 jump start

Rkrug

Went and looked at a truck at fort Riley has a low battery and would not turn over, was wondering if I wire two car batteries together to make 24V, if they would have enough power to start it.

91W350

If the engine is not locked and the starter is good, it will turn over. We had four 923s out of Riley that we cannot bar the engines over. A couple looked like new overhauls. Good luck in your venture.

Rkrug

If the engine is not locked and the starter is good, it will turn over. We had four 923s out of Riley that we cannot bar the engines over. A couple looked like new overhauls. Good luck in your venture.
What causes them to lock up like that?

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
What causes them to lock up like that?
There are several reasons an engine can lock up......overheated to the point of galling pistons, water in cylinder(s) (hydrolocked), crankshaft frozen due to rust or othe issues.

That's why it important to preview (or get someone to preview) vehicles prior to buying.

Buying anything from GL is a crapshoot and they have an out for just about any situation that can arise.

Ya pays your money and ya takes your chances.

91W350

If you get one with a bad engine, tow it here and I will trade you for one with a good engine. We are in the iron business, not necessarily the truck or parts business. I save what I can.... You are free to come walk around, the carnage on some of these trucks is amazing, on the other hand, the condition some are released in is amazing. Glen

KsM715

Dang Glen that makes me want to bid on a junker and come see you for a swap. (as if I have enough money to even do that, I'm trying to scrape up what I owe you and MW for the trailers and tires your holding for me.

Rkrug

It is kind of sad to see all of that heavy metal machinery sitting unused.
Took my first trip out to fort Riley to look at a truck and (was kind of worried that they might run out of trucks to auction) but seeing all of the trucks parked rusting and being over grown with trees and weeds I think I will probably get lucky one of these times and actually win one!

91W350

Dang Glen that makes me want to bid on a junker and come see you for a swap. (as if I have enough money to even do that, I'm trying to scrape up what I owe you and MW for the trailers and tires your holding for me.

You do not owe anything on the trailers, glad to be able to help you out there!

91W350

For those who have not been to Riley, they have a lot with over 600 923 and 934 trucks that have not moved in six years.

Rkrug

If you get one with a bad engine, tow it here and I will trade you for one with a good engine. We are in the iron business, not necessarily the truck or parts business. I save what I can.... You are free to come walk around, the carnage on some of these trucks is amazing, on the other hand, the condition some are released in is amazing. Glen
Where are you located in Salina? I live pretty close in Hays and drive through there quite a bit I might have to stop in some time and look around

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
For those who have not been to Riley, they have a lot with over 600 923 and 934 trucks that have not moved in six years.
Before they started the big sales push at Shelby last year they had over 6000 M926's, M931's, M932's and other misc trucks. A lot of them went to the scrappers.:roll:

Last word I had was that they are below 3000 now and in a twist of irony they are still rebuilding M900 series trucks there and issuing them to Guard and Reserve units.:cookoo: Go figure.

Attachments

Beerslayer

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it only weighs 25 lbs I don't see how they can pack enough CCAs in there to turn over a big truck motor. Significantly, they don't specify the Cold Crank Amps those two batteries are rated to supply. Unless I missed something.

I would say, no.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Features of the PSJ-2212
  • 2200 peak amps
  • 330 cranking amps; 275 cold cranking amps
  • 22Ah internal AGM battery
  • 4 gauge, 50 inch cables
  • 12 volt DC power outlet
  • Built-in automatic charger
  • LED lights indicate battery status, charging, and fully charged
  • 1 year manufacturer warranty on charger; 90 days on internal battery
No, not gonna do much for you.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks