• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923: LOW hours but "high" miles?

MO MV man

Hello all,

I've been eyeballing numerous M923's as of late and have seen many with super low hours (say 20-50, for example) but "high" miles; 20,000-40,000, for example.

Am I to assume the engine is fresh and the hour meter was replaced when the engine was replaced?

Thanks a lot.

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They probabley just replaced the hour meter , hours and miles don't mean much as the gauges get swapped out .

MWMULES

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
With surplus, never assume = (ass out of U & me)! Best way is to eyeball in person some are as you think and others may have a non operating hour meter or had it replaced without the motor being replaced. A lot of 900 series have been through partial or full rebuild and some are original.

Last edited:

emmado22

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Dont assume any hour meter or odometer is correct or original to the truck. The military does NOT treat odometers like the civilian world does. Look at the condition of the truck as a whole to see if the gauges "seem" to be correct for the amount fo wear.

MO MV man

The M923 I got shows 19637 on the odometer and 18202 on the RRAD rebuild tag.
Engine and everything surrounding it is beautiful so I'm betting it has 1435 miles as indicated.

My tach and hour meter are not functioning at this time so an accurate hour reading is unknown.
Another item on my "to do" list. :)

Scarecrow1

I agree with all those above . there is nothing to say that even the whole instrument cluster hasn't be replaced . Many of you remember when the gauges where being stripped form the Deuce's because of the radiation levels . So you really can't count on anything but the date you bought it .......

wsucougarx

With my truck, the mile meter registers 83,000 miles. However, the hour meter indicates 40 hours. Looking at the motor it has a rebuild tag of 2008 and the truck was turned in March 2011. So it appears the hour meter was replaced with the rebuilt motor?

BigWill1985

Where are the engine rebuild tags? The motor in my M817 purrs like a kitten, and the speedo shows ~47,000 miles. I am curious as to whether or not it has been rebuilt.

~Will Courtier~

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks