• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 & M923A1 Spare Tire Holder Assembly

ARYankee

I have a M923A1 and I had noticed when I was bidding that it was missing the davit for the spare tire holder. No big deal. The spare tire was mounted in the bed. Well I got to thinking that eventually I would need one to lift that mammoth 1400 back into the truck if I ever had a flat. Luckily another member on here had a line on the whole assembly and gave it to me. I finally got around today to looking at it and the one on the truck. They are 2 different sizes. I'm assuming that the one on my truck is for the 1100 tires that come on the M923 when running duals on the back. Now the one that I had given to me is larger and the 1400 would fit. There are some considerable differences between the 2. Is my assumption correct in saying that when they go to super singles that the spare tire holder and davit was changed as well to accommodate the larger tires? I would also like to see some pictures of the spare tire setup for the ones running 1400s. I think the only thing that I may be missing to make the new setup work is the bracket that bolts to the truck frame and bottom portion of the spare setup on the driver's side. I would also like to see how all the bracing looks as well because the new setup that I have has completely different bracing than what is currently on the truck.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am not sure what you are asking so I just added some pic for you.
They are of my M931A1 and one on my M923A1. Can not see much of the rack on the M923A1 with the bed and troop seats in the way.
Hope the pics help.:beer:

Attachments

Last edited:

ARYankee

I was looking for some pictures of the 1400 spare tire setup to see how it looks and I was hoping that my assumption that the spare tire holders are different sizes for trucks running 1400s and 1100s. I think I may have a solution to the bracket thing. I'm just going to drill holes to match the existing bracket. Here is a picture of the bracket that I am talking about.

Attachments

emr

The answer to your question is YES :) They went to a wider and HEAVIER duty davit arm, The 1100 arm will bend like a mother when u try to lift that 1400 in there, Those are the facts... :) good luck, I also need a 1400 spare tirwe set up for the 939 series truck, if anyone Has one in the NJ PA NYC area please let me know....:) Thanks...

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes they are not the same and the Beds on the A1, A2's are moved back a little on the frame.

Welder Sam

The search function is your friend. Read the tm's. Theyre available to download both here and from jatonka. Not to mention a few other sites.

:doghead:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!! THE DEVIL MADE ME DO IT!!!

KsM715

The answer to your question is YES :) They went to a wider and HEAVIER duty davit arm, The 1100 arm will bend like a mother when u try to lift that 1400 in there, Those are the facts... :) good luck, I also need a 1400 spare tirwe set up for the 939 series truck, if anyone Has one in the NJ PA NYC area please let me know....:) Thanks...

Crap. I got a davit set-up for my M818 but its for the 11's. I "hope" to get 14's for it sometime. Now I guess I'll have to upgrade the davit too.

ARYankee

I got it installed!!! Finally! I did have some modifications and made a support bracket. It only took a trip to Lowe's for some hardware, a trip to Tractor Supply for some more hardware, a trip to Harbor Freight for some cheap tools, and a lot of cussing. I didn't move the bed back which may have been the better route but what I did works for me. It is a tight squeeze getting the tire in there due to the air intake and bed clearance, I may do some tweaking to the air intake to give me a wee bit more room. I still have a couple more modifications to do but the tire is sitting in it. I'll post up some pictures later.

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks!!:) Looks like a nice job, I bet a lot of thinking was going on.

I does look like you may need to move the intake foreword a little if you can?

Good luck with it.

:beer:

ARYankee

Thanks!!:) Looks like a nice job, I bet a lot of thinking was going on.

I does look like you may need to move the intake foreword a little if you can?

Good luck with it.

:beer:

Thanks. It was actually more involved than I expected. It was also alot of work too. It was a tight fit with the air intake but I kind of like that because I know if the tire comes loose it will take alot for it to come out :) I plan on running a small safety chain across the front of the holder in case it comes loose. I also plan on chaining the tire to the davit. You can't be too safe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks