• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 & M925 questions

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Every one I have seen with a 14ft iso bed has had lockers. I can not say the same for the 927/928 20ft iso beds though

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
M923 & M925 questions

Thanks fellas!

I forgot, also wanted to verify the Marine trucks used Detroit lockers in just the rears. No selectable or front lockers?

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks fellas!

I forgot, also wanted to verify the Marine trucks used Detroit lockers in just the rears. No selectable or front lockers?
Yes, Detroit lockers. I have never heard of a USMC truck with lockers in the front axle. They may have existed, but not in the M809 or M939 series to my knowledge.

Superthermal

Yes, Detroit lockers. I have never heard of a USMC truck with lockers in the front axle. They may have existed, but not in the M809 or M939 series to my knowledge.
I was thinking to put Detroit Lockers in all three of my axles. Next to getting my winch operational, lockers are next on my list. USMC has used Detroit Lockers in the two tandem rears, but has anyone here has lockers in all three axles on a M809 series? Just looking ahead to benefits/complications with the T138 case. My rig will see road miles doing PM drives around town as well as deep snow wheeling, mud, and plenty of hard packed dirt. Many wheelers use a Detroit in the front but they have hubs that can be unlocked. I will not.
Anyone had experience with this?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
I was thinking to put Detroit Lockers in all three of my axles. Next to getting my winch operational, lockers are next on my list. USMC has used Detroit Lockers in the two tandem rears, but has anyone here has lockers in all three axles on a M809 series? Just looking ahead to benefits/complications with the T138 case. My rig will see road miles doing PM drives around town as well as deep snow wheeling, mud, and plenty of hard packed dirt. Many wheelers use a Detroit in the front but they have hubs that can be unlocked. I will not.
Anyone had experience with this?
It's going to bind on the turn.

@profo has front manual unlocking hubs on his 927. They do exist.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
Anyone with a M939A2 running 16 R20 wheels know the distance between the two wheels in the rear. Wanting to replace my 14 R20's and get a set of 16 R20's cause of how deep the snow and mud get here and also put at set of chains on at least the front rear axle and the front axle itself.
Going up 30 degree ridge to get home doesn't always happen with the 5 ton, sun doesn't shine on particular section and even with deflated tires and traction block I sometimes end up finding myself going backwards.
Go the long way and I find drifts that have melted and packed down hard higher than the axles.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Anyone with a M939A2 running 16 R20 wheels know the distance between the two wheels in the rear. Wanting to replace my 14 R20's and get a set of 16 R20's cause of how deep the snow and mud get here and also put at set of chains on at least the front rear axle and the front axle itself.
Going up 30 degree ridge to get home doesn't always happen with the 5 ton, sun doesn't shine on particular section and even with deflated tires and traction block I sometimes end up finding myself going backwards.
Go the long way and I find drifts that have melted and packed down hard higher than the axles.
3 finger width between them at the narrowest point

You can find a set of autochains that bolt to the axle so you can have chains whenever you need em with the flip of a switch

Superthermal

With XZL 16.00r20s I have about an inch between mine on a M813 6X6 that I think is the same as the 900 series. Not enough space for chains. I plan to make a single chain that wraps both rear tires like a tank tread.
20230317_191139.jpg20230317_191134.jpg

Last edited:

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
With XZL 16.00r20s I have about an inch between mine on a M813 6X6 that I think is the same as the 900 series. Not enoughspace for chains. I plan to make a a single chain that wraps both rear tires like a tank tread. View attachment 893431View attachment 893432
Be afraid one slips and snap the chain, plus the weight. I put duals on my semi and they are heavy with limited room due to a flatbed I have on my semi. Thanks for the visual!

Superthermal

With XZL 16.00R20s and steel HEMTT wheels with solid run flats my tires are about 615+ a tire already. The only thing I am wondering about is when I run a "tandem" chain set with Detroit lockers in both rears, will the lockers fight each other being loosely chained to one another? Or will I not even notice. Been thinking on this the last few weeks.

Weldman

Decommissioned
Staff member
With XZL 16.00R20s and steel HEMTT wheels with solid run flats my tires are about 615+ a tire already. The only thing I am wondering about is when I run a "tandem" chain set with Detroit lockers in both rears, will the lockers fight each other being loosely chained to one another? Or will I not even notice. Been thinking on this the last few weeks.
Just put lockers in the front rear axle only.

Elk1111

Steel Soldiers Supporter
With the On Spot chains just remember not to go very fast. They are fine till around 35 mph but after that they tend to tear right off.
We have been experimenting with snow socks this winter and have actually been pretty impressed with them. They are a lot easier than chains and give pretty good traction.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks