• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

M923 middle axle seal leaking

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have a 1985, M923. The middle axle drivers side started leaking yesterday. I went through the TM's looked up rear end, axles, differential, seals and can't find a break down of how to replace the seal
or how the bearings and gaskets are located. I can't even find the parts # for the seal. Can someone please give me some help on this.
Mark

wsucougarx

Have you checked the pressure relief valve on top of the axle first? I found I had a leaky axle on my deuce and thought it was the seal. Later found the pressure relief valve was plugged, thus causing a build up in pressure within the axle...forced fluid out through the seal.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thank you sir, I saw the pressure gauges go up past where it should. I tried to find where the pressure relief was but could not find it. Is it on the rear end housing or is it the valve on the bottom of the bed. There were 2 of them up there.
Do you know where in the TM's I would look under for a break down and location? Thank you very much, I believe you are exactly correct. Mark

M35A2-AZ

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Try looking in TM 9-2320-272-24P-1 Fig 295 for the seal and bearing P/N
The pressure relief is the little post looking think on top of the axle housing.
You could not see a pressure change from the cab with this. The air gauges are showing air pressure of the
trucks air system.

diverman555

In Memorial
In Memorial
ON a couple different times both air pressure gauges almost peaked then the pressure dropped back to normal. I found the relief valve on top of the housing, both housings seemed to move freely.
One time when the gauges got above normal I could hear the pressure release from the right side just inside the middle axle from a 4"x4" valve with several hoses coming from it. their were 2 of them
one in front of the other.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The axle has a vent, a one way vent. It is not a relief valve.

Is the truck was building too much air pressure, that is unrelated to your axle leak.

Learning to use the manuals is kinda mandatory if you want to maintain your own truck.

Understanding the air system is kinda important too.

Artisan

I Just realized you probably said your primary AND secondary gauges
went above 120-125psi correct? If so I might consider replacing
the Govenor ASAP. Have a skilled certified brake mechanic
give that truck a look over my friend. The govenor is all
of 20 or so dollars.

The same thing happened to my 923 last weekend. The truck had sat for over week where we had about 4-inches of snow. I plugged the block heater in for couple of hours and fired right up. The air came up in about 5 mins and stayed at 120. Drove about 2 miles and saw the primary shoot to 150 and the secondary at 130. Immediately pulled off the road and stopped. As I turned around both gauges dropped down to 120. Back home, bleed the lines and never had another issue.

I heard the brakes bled off before, during and after I saw the gauges go past 120. Any possibility that some moisture got in and temporarily froze something?

Doghead: I replaced it while changing all the other filters, etc when I got my truck last summer. Read your post and inspected canister to find it was not tighten/snug. Thanks for the guidance!

Being a newbie, i search and read the TMs but it helps when you can read a post, and learn from others tips, see diagrams and pics. Still struggling in perfecting the search for TMs

Thanks again, sir!

Mike

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Guns, thanks for the update.

Updates really help in the long run.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks